Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick RAM Question

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I've got no qualms doing that, however in saying that I'm reluctant to open up my PC as it has a lot of cables running through the back and takes a while to hook it up (I've gotta get under the desk to do it -- took me half an hour when we moved in here a month ago) so I'd prefer to do this only when installing RAM.

I don't mean to be difficult -- is there possibly another way?

Also, from what we know of my PC currently, which would be a good buy on this site to go up to 4GB? There are so many options!

http://www.umart.com...ex2.phtml?bid=5

Edited by Jaekus, 27 May 2009 - 07:38 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, Umart are pretty good. I worked there for a short stint as sales, and still have an account there.

EMP isn't far from me, you must be close.

You should be able to take the sides off the case without needing to disconnect every cable connected to the rear... Although I would advise taking the power cord out just as a safety precaution.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Thanks for your help. I've got a retro case and the only bolts to take it off are at the rear. Is it possible to just get some RAM that would be appropriate without opening up the PC? I managed to do fine last time with the old P4 I had.

PS: I live Brisbane southside, I notice you're on the Gold Coast. Small world hey :)

Edited by Jaekus, 27 May 2009 - 06:17 PM.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
You would have to open it anyway to install the RAM. :)

I am sure if you bought RAM, and tried it...it should work!

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Oh indeed I would have to to install RAM, I just don't want to do it twice is all as it's a hassle. Surely I can buy RAM that's compatible no matter if I've got the "plus" version of the motherboard or not... ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Download CPU-Z from here.

Take screenshots of both the "Memory" and "SPD" tabs and upload those.

Cheers

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, here it is.

This has taken much longer than I thought, sorry guys.

Attached Thumbnails

• cpuz_img.JPG

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I guess it really depends on your uses for this machine. I'd just throw in a similar 1GB to take it to 2GB total. I've seen systems that the specifications say a 2GB stick works but it physically doesn't...

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hmm, and we can't determine this exactly till I open up and check the motherboard?

I'd like to go up to 4GB but 2GB would be adequate.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Ok, so I ended up getting another stick the same as the one already installed as it was only $25. Whilst fitting it I checked the motherboard. It's an ASUS M2N-MX SE.

Advertisements