Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My HP DV6810 laptop won't turn on anymore, please help! :(

• Please log in to reply

xxsassxx31

xxsassxx31

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello all, I have an HP Pavilion dv6700 or DV6810 as HP refers it to and it won't turn on anymore! My system has 3 gigs of RAM and is an AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz.

I was originally using Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium System Pack 1 (what it came with the system) and I had upgraded to Vista 64-bit. I am not sure if my problem was caused by my upgrade of Vista or my system being too warm (as I have been using it a lot and it has been getting hot and making loud noises); but after I upgraded to the 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium System Pack 2, I was then going to the upgrade directly from the Windows to the Vista Ultimate which I had purchased earlier (and not got around to update any of it with my schedule)....and after I did this, it asked for me to restart my computer and as soon as I did....poof! It shut off and won't turn back on...

I read up on this online....I took out the battery and adapter completely and clicked on the "on" or power button for 30 seconds then put the battery back in and plugged it to no avail....I then took out the RAM cards (a 2-gig one and a 1-gig one) to try to reset it....still nothing. I called HP tech support and they told me to reset the harddrive and how to do it and still...same thing!

Everything is completely blank and my computer and nothing on it turns on....does anyone know what it can be? I have an identical computer I am using but I need that one to work and this is driving me crazy....HP wants me to send it back to them but is there anything I can do to possibly fix this myself??

Thanks again in advance and I appreciate all of your help regarding this matter....thanks again and hopefully I can fix this

-sasss

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it's under warranty, send it back. Why should you spend time trying to fix it when HP will fix it for nothing under your warranty?

xxsassxx31

xxsassxx31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

If it's under warranty, send it back. Why should you spend time trying to fix it when HP will fix it for nothing under your warranty?

As mentioned, I have an identical laptop...do you know when receiving the laptop, do the techs verify the cpu info only by what is on the back of the laptop (the sticker) or do they verify it inside the cpu itself? Again, thanks for your time and help! :)

channelchannel

channelchannel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't guess you would be writing in here if you could just ship it back for repairs.
The first thing I would do is verify you have power.
Do any lights flash even briefly when you push the on button? Is there a click or a whir?
If it's dead dead, you may have a problem with the power.

I know you will have tried some of these things but to be thorough...

1) plug a lamp into the outlet you've been plugging into and charging from. Does it come on?
2) if your cord is a 2 part affair with a converter halfway along, is it warm?
2.5) Are all the connections connected?
3) Do you have power at the end that plugs into the laptop?

Cord is ok but no buzz, click, whir:
You may have a bad connection from cord to power supply or possibly a bad power supply.

If you have some buzzing or clicking or something that tells you there's power to the system, what is it doing? What thunder or lightning are you witnessing?

channelchannel

channelchannel

• Pip
  • 2 posts

As mentioned, I have an identical laptop...do you know when receiving the laptop, do the techs verify the cpu info only by what is on the back of the laptop (the sticker) or do they verify it inside the cpu itself? Again, thanks for your time and help! :)

I wouldn't count on fooling the techs. If you're out of warranty, you're out.

xxsassxx31

xxsassxx31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

The first thing I would do is verify you have power.
Do any lights flash even briefly when you push the on button? Is there a click or a whir?
If it's dead dead, you may have a problem with the power.

I'm good with the battery pack and everything. I used another charger and same thing, it does not turn on. Another way that I know it has nothing to do with the battery is that the blue light is on when it is plugged in....it just doesn't turn on! No lights...no nothing!

If you have some buzzing or clicking or something that tells you there's power to the system, what is it doing? What thunder or lightning are you witnessing?

No clicks or whirls anymore....because I can't even get it on! :) Before, it would make some whirly noises and get extremely hot with extensive uses....but we will see what happens....I thank you again and appreciate your help and response in regards to this.