Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutting off whenver it feels like it

• Please log in to reply

pc-dumb-caboose

pc-dumb-caboose

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok so I have a custom built pc. Oh yeah my disclaimer, I DO NOT KNOW CRAP ABOUT COMPUTERS (hence my name).

So this pc was built about 2 yrs ago. Recently (past month) it began to shut off a irregular intervals. At first it woudl shut off adn not come back on immediately when I hit the on sitch. It woudl turn on for maybe 2 secs. but not eeven beep adn then shut back off. So i woudl let it sit for a few minutes and turn it on with no problems. From there it would shut off in 1/2 hr or 5 hrs.

So I replaced the power supply. Thsi helped some but did not solve the problem. Now if it shuts off I can get it to come right back on, no waiting.

I also downloaded a mother board monitor b/c I dotn know how to get into BIOSto check temp. It was running around 66-72 degrees Celsius.

SO i decided I needed more fans (it only had the PS fan adn CPU fan. I put a fan to pull air in and a fan to suck it out. THsi lowered the temp tremedously, it si at a steady 47 Celsius. BUT it still shuts off!!

Now I bought a new CPU fan and hooked it up, but I couldnt get the pc to turn on with it installed so I put the old one back in. The old one was caked in dust so I vacuumed it off and put it back in.

I am at a loss and don twan to to spend $100/hr for some guy to come look at it and tell me it is a lost cause.

Please help! Oh yeah sorry for bein ga dumbass but please give me detailed directions. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

pc-dumb-caboose

pc-dumb-caboose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh yeah the specs that I know

I believe it is an AMD Athalon (64?)
1933MHZ
480mb ram

umm thats about all i know

pc-dumb-caboose

pc-dumb-caboose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
anyone??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you reinstalled the cpu fan, added the new one---did you clean off the cpu and the heatsink --- and I mean CLEAN, take out the q-tips and some alcohol and make it shine and not touch it with your fingers--and then apply a heat compound like arcticsilver?

you're problem sounds heat related.

pc-dumb-caboose

pc-dumb-caboose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I unclipped teh CPU fan adn teh heat sink came off with it. There was some white goo stuff on teh back side of the new one (I accidentally touched it) tehn I clipped the new fan adn heat sink in place. It woudl not start.

As for teh old one before I put it back in, no i did nto get out the alcohol, but I did clean it wiht my shop vac. and it looks pretty clean.

the motherboard monitor I installed shows the temp has dropped drasticly, are there other temps that I need to be aware of?