Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade question. Is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply

Xzyon

Xzyon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello. I have been putting together a new gaming rig for some time now. However, I was wondering if it was worth it for me to go ahead and upgrade from XP home to Vista 64 bit premium. I realize that Vista supports more memory and was prepared to compensate with an additional 4 gigs should Vista be the final verdict on this rig. I have already paid for or possessed some of the components i needed for the rig. Since i suspect you all are going to want specs I will provide you all with what I am using from my previous rig and what I have on the way.

Yoinking from my current rig:

-Hitachi HDT725032VLA380 320GB hard drive
-4 gigs of PC5300 667mhz DDR2 memory (2 2gig sticks)(may be replacing)
-700 watt power supply

What I have Purchased:

-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE PCI 7.1 Surround Sound Card
-Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 AM2 S754 S939 S940 2000RPM 36CFM Heatsink Fan
-Coolermaster Storm Scout Black ATX Tower Case
-Gigabyte Radeon HD 4670 512MB (2 of them, gonna crossfire)
-Zalman fanmate 2 (1 for each videocard, read reviews on the fan noise after i purchased them and am trying to compensate)
-MSI DKA790GX ATX AM2+ 790GX DDR2 2PCI-E16 CrossFire 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SATA GBLAN Motherboard
-Amd Phenom Ii X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM2+ 3.0GHZ 8MB Cache

All i need to know is, would it be worth it for me to switch from XP to Vista 64bit Home Premuim and purchase 8 gigs worth of Corsair Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory. Cost to me would be about an extra $250 cnd.

Any comments on my new rig as well as advice and answers to my inquiry are all welcome. Keep in mind, this is somewhat of a budget rig.

Thank you

Advertisements