Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to add a password to a wireless network

• Please log in to reply

iLoveLucy

iLoveLucy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

I've already had someone set up the wireless network for me with everything already connected and working. Is there are way in which I can quickly add a password to it, or do I need to install the network from scratch again?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

iLoveLucy

iLoveLucy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I think I was a bit unclear, I didn't create the network - someone else did that for me. So, I never really saw how it was installed and have no clue about changing the settings, so could you clarify or maybe give some step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance.

xtthew!

xtthew!

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Click on the Start button and choose Run.
When the Run Dialog Box opens type in cmd, then press the Enter/Return key.
(In Windows Vista, you type cmd into the search box after clicking on the Start Button\Windows Orb)

Once a black box opens up type ipconfig then press the Enter/Return key
To the right of where it says Default Gateway you'll see a number like 192.168.1.1

Remember that number and type it into the address bar of your Web Browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.)

That's one way of getting into your routers configuration screen.

For a 2Wire router, you typically type home into the address bar of your Web Browser.

Edited by xtthew!, 24 May 2009 - 03:07 PM.