Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Satellite A200 Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply

Deadly Whatever

Deadly Whatever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, I took it apart to reset the BIOS, which I never did because I couldn't find my saudering iron. While it was apart, I found a tip on another techie sight. The dude said to remove the RAM and reseat it, and that got me thinking, maybe one of my RAM chips is fried. So... I put it all back together, pulled a chip, and now its working. At least for now, I still need to see if it will start up again after I shut it down. (which I don't want to do till I go to bed, as my internet is wireless, and I'm still waiting for my desktops wireless card in the mail.) So, my malfunctioning laptop is the only internet I have at the moment. :)

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
So it works perfectly now?
How much RAM do you have installed now, after removing the chip?

Deadly Whatever

Deadly Whatever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I wouldn't say perfectly, I haven't tried restarting it yet. After the pull, 512.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try putting the stick of RAM back in, and see if the computer boots. If it does, then take out the good stick of RAM and leave the bad one in. Then run memtest. For a tutorial click on "Memtest Instructions" in my sig.

Deadly Whatever

Deadly Whatever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Now I'm thinking its over heating the RAM/CPU, because it was on its 5th pass and the comp crashed. Afterwards, I felt the RAM and it was very hot. When I put the other stick of RAM in, it wouldn't start. And when I put the first stick of RAM in again (after it had cooled) it still wouldn't start. So I'm thinking the CPU was still overheated at that point. (if it is the CPU that is overheating) I'm going to DL SpeedFan to check the temps.

HD0 40
Core0 46
Core1 46

Edited by Deadly Whatever, 28 May 2009 - 09:49 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Those temps look all right to me.
Try cleaning your case. Use compressed air, and paper towels. Also make sure that you are static safe. To do this touch a nonpainted metal surface of your computer's case with one hand, and work cleaning with another hand.

EDIT: Make sure that all the fans in your case are spinning up.

Edited by edge2022, 28 May 2009 - 10:39 PM.

Deadly Whatever

Deadly Whatever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Case is clean, and the fan is spinning up, but it still seems to be overheating. I took the heatsink off the CPU and it looks like there isn't enough thermal paste/grease. Plus the integrated GPU (at least I think its the GPU) gets very hot, very quickly. It is located under the keyboard where there is little air movement. It just has a metal plate that gets screwed on top. No fan to help dissipate the heat. Plus the ram gets pretty hot as well, so I may borrow a cooling pad to see if it helps.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If you are comfortable with fixing the heatsink / thermal paste problem yourself, then you can go ahead. Otherwise, have a shop look at it.