Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Temperature Question

• Please log in to reply

hillarium

hillarium

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's the deal. I built my computer last year around July. Had a small budget so nothing high end, just to play some games. Had been playing games and working just fine, no issues whatsoever. Had taken CPU temp readings before and it usually idled at 38c and hit the mid 50's while gaming. A couple months ago, out of the blue, I was playing Left 4 Dead like usual and my computer shut off. It hadn't had cooling issues before and I hadn't changed anything but I figured maybe it overheated. I checked bios and I was right, said the CPU temp was 118 degrees celsius. Needless to say, I immediately turned it off and went about trying to figure it out. After making sure the CPU fan was working properly I tried again. Now it said 60c. I kept monitoring the temps and the average temp I kept getting while idle was about 62c. I bought some AS5 and tried that, didn't work. Now L4D isn't a very demanding game, but nonetheless, I couldn't figure it out so I put off gaming for a while. I finally decided to come back and try to work something out. Ended up lowering the CPU voltage from 1.3 to 1.1 and no more temp issues. It does idle higher than it used to but it works. It's been bugging me but I can't for the life of me think what happened. For a while I thought my cpu was going bad or it was just the temp sensors. I apologize for the post being so long, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Advertisements