Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocked i7 need better cooling.

• Please log in to reply

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I have a core i7 920 overclocked to 4GHz. I am able to run the computer without the processor overheating. However whenever I run a full load it gets pretty hot and shuts off. I want to replace the stock cooler. I do not know much about the different types of cooling. I do not want watercooling because I have heard many stories of them leaking and I do not want to ruin my expensive system. What do you suggest I get?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm getting ready to build an i7. All the reviews I have read and watched seem to point to these two being pretty darn good. Be sure to read up on them yourself. And make sure they can fit in your CASE and on your MOBO because they are extremely big.

Cooler Master V8 This one is apparently not the easiest to install, but it works well once you got it in. (small red LED from within the cooler) FYI
Xigmatek Dark Knight Has white LEDs just so you know.

I'm going to use the Xigmatek one mainly because of the performance for the price. Hope that helps!

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
What do ya'll think about thermal electric cooling?

http://www.tigerdire...mp;Sku=ULT40417

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
They have been around for some time, but their popularity seems to be growing with faster more heat producing processors. I read one review and watched another of the Ultra Chilltec you linked to and both reviews seemed to imply that they have advantages over standard heatsinks.

Here is a video review of the Chilltec

I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money for it, like I said previously, the Xigmatek Dark Knight has very good performance for the price for only $40 compared to this one at $120. I believe the Thermal Electric Cooler (TEC) will have better idle and load temperatures. If you have the money, then go for that one. If you want more of a "bang for the buck" cooler, get the V8($60) or especially the Dark Knight. Since you have the i7 920 overclocked so much, spending extra money for the Ultra might actually save you money in the end by extending the life of your i7 cpu.

And remember to keep in mind how big all of these are, things like mobo heatsinks, RAM, Case side fans, can get in the way of these coolers.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I have the money for it. So, go ahead and get the thermal electric cooler? Is there a better form of cooling that will also help remove the heat from my case?

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Is there a better form of cooling that will also help remove the heat from my case?

Is the problem with your CPU temps or Case Temps? Or both? Keep in mind that if the case temps are high, then that would make the cpu(heatsink) hotter. With air cooling, you can never get temperatures below the room temperature, and techinically lower than case temperature.

Can you give me a link to your case?

But yeah, I was saying go ahead and get the TEC since you have the money.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I have the xg viper 2 case. I am not sure what the link is for the manufacturer's website is.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Is this your case? XG Viper 2 Case If so, one problem I see is that the intake fan is only 80mm and then only one 120mm exhaust fan. Are there holes to mount a bigger intake fan in the front?

And you never answered me, is the problem with your case temps or cpu temps? Or, both?

Thanks,

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
That is my case. The problem is the cpu temp. At least that's what I'm thinking. The temperature inside the case only gets up to about 120 degrees fahrenheit tops. However there is not a place to mount another fan on the front like you suggest. the one that is already mounted is the only place to mount one of that same size. Monitoring the cpu temps, i see the cpu get to about 70 degrees celsius which is way too hot. Once I get a full load going the computer just shuts off. If I don't have a full load going the computer stays on but the temperature is still wayyyy too hot for idle temps.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

i see the cpu get to about 70 degrees celsius which is way too hot. Once I get a full load going the computer just shuts off. If I don't have a full load going the computer stays on but the temperature is still wayyyy too hot for idle temps.

Yeah, that is way to hot. Buying the TEC would help a lot, however one thing you could try first is to make sure you have the current heatsink seated properly on the cpu and also checking to make sure the fan is working on it. That sounds much hotter than what I have read about the stock cooler for the i7.

The temperature inside the case only gets up to about 120 degrees fahrenheit tops.

That isn't exactly the coolest either. Are the cables inside the case well managed? Poor cable management can restrict proper airflow. Buying a an exhaust fan that moves more air would be helpful. Same with the intake fan. Like I said, lowering the case temps will help lower the cpu temps too.
  • Try a new heatsink
  • Try better cable management.
  • If that doesn't get it exactly low as you want it to, then buy better fans.

Advertisements

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
It is definitely a cpu overheating problem. I lowered the voltage and clock speed to stock on my core i7 and at the stock speed, it only is at 50 degrees Celsius. I have pretty good cable management. I'm sure I could make it better but that in itself might not make as big of a difference on my cpu temps as would an aftermarket cooling system.

aquevedo831

aquevedo831

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I found this cooler. http://www.newegg.co.....lermaster v10

Would that one be better than the thermal electric cooler?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hey,

Did you go with the Zalman CPU cooler? If you did, I am very sorry you are unhappy with it. I have always used Zalman and never have had or heard a problem from one of my customers.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Hey,

Did you go with the Zalman CPU cooler? If you did, I am very sorry you are unhappy with it. I have always used Zalman and never have had or heard a problem from one of my customers.

I concur. Every system build I have done with a Zalman has never had any problems that I can think of. Never use stock cooling on a CPU thats overclocked!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

I found this cooler. http://www.newegg.co.....lermaster v10

Would that one be better than the thermal electric cooler?

That one is a Thermal Electric Cooler also. I would imagine it performs well. It is gigantic though :)

Anything you go with is going to be much better than the stock cooling you are using for an overclocked cpu. Best bang for the buck is the Dark Knight, best performance will probably be a TEC, whether its the Ultra or the V10. Like I said earlier, in my i7 build, I'm going with the Dark Knight.

I did some work for you, it seems you are having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Dark Knight Review Test Results(compared to several other coolers)
Ultra Chilltec Test Results (Compared to stock intel Core 2 Duo Cooler and a Zalman)
V10 Review Test Results compared to Xigmatek S1283(similar to Dark Knight)

Remember, all of these reviews used different cpu's and probably had different room temperatures, so don't just compare idle and load temps. And I would highly recommend reading Neweggs or the retailers actual customer reviews, that helps me a lot when deciding which one I want. Hope this helps.