Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

malware, need to system restore, disc not working

• Please log in to reply

magnanimous

magnanimous

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Compaq laptop with Windows XP home edition

OK so I clearly have a malware problem on my laptop. Origionally just had "system security" fake protection thing popping up every time i tried to go to a website, and also got a pop up everytime i used google...never was sent to intended destination. Have AVG, tried Adware I tried CCleaner, tried SuperAnti-spyware, tried MBAM...but it wouldn't even load even under a different name in case the malware was trying to block it, was going to do combofix (yes i downloaded it to the desktop to run it) but it wouldn't work...not even in safe mode.

I got a log from superanti-spyware. Couldn't get logs from any other program.

Already had everything important backed up, luckily did a backup last week.

This morning things went from bad to worse...now the laptop won't open any programs, the background has changed to "warning! your're in danger! your computer is infected with spyware" (-yeah no duh-). I tried to do a system restore, but in normal mode nothing will open.

In safe mode system restore won't work either.

Tried to put in my disc I got origionally with the laptop, had to run it in safemode because normal mode is so messed up...went through the whole installation, made it to the end where it says to restart the computer. Then restarted the computer...went back into normal mode, everything is still there, all the malware, all of my old icons on the desktop. Along with new icons for programs that I know the disc installed.

Nothing works properly in normal mode, all of my programs won't open like spybot, ccleaner, etc.

SoOoO...now what? I don't care about anything on the laptop since I already did a backup onto an external hard drive before the problems started. Is there another way to do a system restore to the factory settings? I've done it on other laptops in the past but have lost my touch or something. The laptop is old, got it in 05...willing to try anything before going out and buying a new one.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Tried to put in my disc I got origionally with the laptop

What kind of disk is it?
If it's recovery CD, then normally, you boot from it, and when you're done with a whole procedure, the computer is back to its original state, like it came from the store.

You can also use Compaq recovery partition, by pressing F10 at Compaq's logo.

magnanimous

magnanimous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yeah the recovery disk. I've now ran it through twice. I've only been able to run it through safe mode, it gets blocked in normal mode. Each time I've ran it through safe mode it takes a couple hours, everything appears to be doing what it should, makes it to the end, tells me to reboot, I reboot...then once I reach normal mode nothing has changed.

In one of my several attempts to do a system restore in safe mode it made it to the first screen but then the same error pops up saying I have to boot the system restore in normal mode first because it's disabled.

magnanimous

magnanimous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'll try the F10 trick at the compaq logo.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I've only been able to run it through safe mode, it gets blocked in normal mode.

I'm not sure how you're using that CD. As I said, normally, you BOOT from the CD. You can't run it from WITHIN Windows.

magnanimous

magnanimous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The CD says on it "Application and Driver Recovery DVD"
I put the CD in and turn on the computer.
The computer does all the same stuff it normally does when turning on, then when the desktop loads an error message pops up saying something about the boot disk being denied.
I was told by someone who had to go through the same thing to go into safe mode and run the CD from there since it wouldn't do it's thing on it's own.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
This is wrong CD. It'll only reinstall programs, and drivers, not operating system.

Try F10 thingy.

magnanimous

magnanimous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well that's really good info to know. Now I feel dumb.

Did F10, which has brought me to the setup screen. "PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility" it says at the top

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try F11 at Compaq logo.

magnanimous

magnanimous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
F11 did nada...except now the start up process is stuck at the windows XP screen that says "windows is starting up..."

Edited by magnanimous, 24 May 2009 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hmmm...strange...
Restart one more time, and watch the bottom of the screen, when Compaq logo is displayed. At the right bottom, it should say something like:
F11 - Recovery
See, if it says F11, or something else.

magnanimous

magnanimous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It says...

ESC to change boot order
F10 to Setup
F12 to boot from LAN

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...n...c=en&dlc=en
It clearly says:
press the F10 key repeatedly until a recovery menu appears
Posted Image
Read the above link about other options.

How old is this Compaq?

magnanimous

magnanimous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
A recovery menu never shows up. Just the Setup Utility screen.

The compaq is 2005

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What model of Compaq is it?

You're still able to boot into Safe Mode, right?