Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Partitioning Problems

• Please log in to reply

Mydan

Mydan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 45 7200 RPM 46.1 GB AT Disk Drive that I am trying to partition using Windows XP Prof Setup.

I select the Unpartitioned space 43967 MB and hit 'C' to create. I leave the partition size as 43959 (the default) and hit enter. It goes back to the previous screen without partitioning the drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the problem and solution? Thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long time before replying we have been very busy. Have you resolved the problem or are you still in need of assistance?
Please repeat your steps above and before partitioning please take a screenshot
After partitioning please take another screenshot.

Edited by rshaffer61, 27 May 2009 - 06:41 PM.

Mydan

Mydan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am trying to do a fresh install of XP, the HDD has no operating system on it and I am unable to take a screen shoot of it.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Lets format the drive to NTFS, and then you can select that partition and leave it intact in the Windows Setup.
Do this with GParted.
http://gparted.sourc...et/download.php
Download the .iso file, and burn it to a CD with BurnCDCC. Get that from here: http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm

Then boot from the disc you created, and format the unpartitioned space using the NTFS filesystem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
If I understand correctly, and you are installing a OS on a new hard drive, why not just put the new drive in the computer and boot from the OS install CD. It will allow you to partition and format the drive.

You can also try a cloning software and clone the old drive to the new drive.

Mydan

Mydan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
123Runner, that is what I was trying to do but the partition would not create.

edge2022's suggestion worked though.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to hear that this is resolved! :)
Thank you for coming to Geeks To Go, and hope to see you around sometime!