Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 5150 RAM Problem

• Please log in to reply

TechSix

TechSix

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello all.
I have a Dell Dimension 5150 Desktop PC.
I have 3GB of DDR2 RAM, all labeled as 566MhZ but my computer tells me they are all only running at 266MhZ. 2 of the RAM sticks are 512 and the other 2 are 1GB. I've tried running 4GB of DDR2 thats 4 1GB sticks and it still shows up as 266Mhz but it tells me I only have 3GB of RAM. Then I've tried running the other twin 1gbs with the 512MBs and it tells me the same but my computer seems a little slower, I've tried running the 2 twins of 1GBs separately and it still tells me 266MHz. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
First, it is typical for a 32-bit system to only see around 3Gb - it is all about physics, and graphics overhead - so at this point, I would not be concerned about the 3Gb.

However the speed may be an issue, but that depends on what you are looking at. Motherboards have multipliers that double, or even quadruple clock speeds so you may be looking at the wrong thing. How fast is your CPU running? If full speed, then so too is your RAM.

You might want to look at CPUz and see what it says.

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thats what I checked was CPUz. Here's a screen shot.
Posted Image
Posted Image
My bios doesn't really have anything to change my overclocking settings.

Edited by TechSix, 25 May 2009 - 05:57 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Okay, I see what is happening, and you have nothing to worry about. Note first that is 533MHz and not 566MHz. Note too that your DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) is DDR - Double duty rate. DDR RAM processes data on both halves of the clock cycle. So while the clock speed is 266MHz, the data rate is 2 x 266 for 533 (they round up). DDR400 (PC3200) actually runs at 200MHz, while DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) runs at 400MHz.

So all is fine.

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I don't know if it really matters, but I noticed on my brother's computer it actually says 533mhz when it boots up the RAM on the BIOS and I don't know if it matters that my ram is PC4200. In the SPD tab each slot says 266Mhz.

Edited by TechSix, 25 May 2009 - 07:12 PM.