Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to enable Ethernet Card in Red Hat 9

• Please log in to reply

Mobi

Mobi

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi guyz,

Hope you are all fine and doing well. I need help for enabling Ethernet card in Red Hat 9.
I am new to this LINUX platform so I am feeling little lost. Basically I have two PCs both are connected to a hub/switch. I am running Win XP on one system and on the other I have installed Red Hat 9. I want to enable network access in the Red Hat just like in Xp so I can ping the machines and also access internet.

I have wifi internet connection, the wireless device is also connected to the switch and the XP system get the IP address from the DHCP which is 192.168.75.15.

I have tried the following command on the Linux
Ifconfig to check the status of NIC  which showed the IP is 127.0.0.1
Ifconfig eth0 up to
Then I used Ifconfig eth0 192.168.75.16
But when I run the ifconfig command to check the status of the NIC and IP address I see local loop i.e. 127.0.0.1 even running the ifconfig eth0 192.168.75.16.

Please help me out how can I assign the IP address so that I can access and ping both the system LINUX and XP from each other.

I will be thankful to you for your help

Advertisements

Aravind Kumar

Aravind Kumar

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi guyz,

Hope you are all fine and doing well. I need help for enabling Ethernet card in Red Hat 9.
I am new to this LINUX platform so I am feeling little lost. Basically I have two PCs both are connected to a hub/switch. I am running Win XP on one system and on the other I have installed Red Hat 9. I want to enable network access in the Red Hat just like in Xp so I can ping the machines and also access internet.

I have wifi internet connection, the wireless device is also connected to the switch and the XP system get the IP address from the DHCP which is 192.168.75.15.

I have tried the following command on the Linux
Ifconfig to check the status of NIC  which showed the IP is 127.0.0.1
Ifconfig eth0 up to
Then I used Ifconfig eth0 192.168.75.16
But when I run the ifconfig command to check the status of the NIC and IP address I see local loop i.e. 127.0.0.1 even running the ifconfig eth0 192.168.75.16.

Please help me out how can I assign the IP address so that I can access and ping both the system LINUX and XP from each other.

I will be thankful to you for your help

Hi

First check whether NIC card is installed in your redhat linux 9 if not try this command kudzu from root prompt

if it is detected and shown then go for next command from prompt neat

it shows the device properties and then insert the ipaddress in which way you want either dhcp or static and save it and activate it

next start the service from root prompt # service network restart.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.75.16 is for giving temporarily for permanent go to the file i have given below.

if you want to enter the ipaddress from command line go to this file

# vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/if*-eth0 and then give the ipaddress state you want either dhcp or static

if you need more help in linux reply me surely i help you upto my knowledge

thanks for your time

Aravind Kumar (vindu)
[email protected]

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You might want to take a look at:

http://www.redhat.co...ork-config.html

127.0.0.1 is the local loopback, so it sounds like you might not be changing the correct interface.