Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Cards

• Please log in to reply

wakedemons3

wakedemons3

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i have an old(3yrs) gateway pc, but it was top of the line when i got it, and it has integrated graphics(NVIDIA GeForce 2 mx/mx). is it possible for me to put a good card in, like say a radeon x300, if i have an open pci slot, or will my computer blow up?

1.7GHz pentium 4
256MB RAM

Advertisements

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Most of the time you can put new stuff inside as long as it's a desktop PC. Take a picture of the inside and show it to the knowlegable folks here to look for open slots, cause I don't know exactly what they look like, i've only fooled with video cards once in my life.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Its possible, what model name and number Gateway do you have?

We can then recommend a card and explain how to install it.

Rick

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
It is most definitly possible. Just open the case and take of the pci slot guard may need screw driver. Just put the card in the slot and then start up and install drivers. If the old video card is connected to the mother board then leave it there if it is pci you can simply switch cards.

cpc197c

cpc197c

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
PCI Cards are easy to install. I have a Geforce FX 5200 256MB PCI card in my old HP 1.2 GHZ. I can run UT2004 on it with no problems. I recently got a new PC with an AGP slot, so that is no longer an issue for me. Good luck finding a high-up PCI card though! The better they get, the less and less you find!