Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Will my systems match up? Or is it even worth it?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Here's what I have:

Older Dell Dimension that I upgraded a hard drive too about 1 year ago. Running on XP.

I just purchased a HP, running Windows Vista, 64 bit. Comodo Firewall.

I'd like to network the two together, so I can run my I-tunes library from my older computer, and not have to transfer them over to the new one (and save some disk space as well).

I have several users on my network, and I don't want to share access to them to anything but the printer. I tried to use the Comodo setup on my own, and am thoroughly confused. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hello Speech,

In Itunes you can share your library and password protect it so only you have access to it and not the other users on your network.

To share the printer I'd create a separate local account specifically for printing on that machine. When they connect to your machine for the first time to add the printer they'll need to type in that account information. You also want to make sure this account is not an administrator account. The reason I say to do this is so they don't log directly onto your machine and have full access to everything.

Lastly, I'm not real familiar with the Comodo Firewall. Most personal firewalls will prompt you to unblock or open ports when an application attempts to connect to you or send information. If this is the case you can just select unblock when needed. If this is a hardware device you speak of then you don't need to do anything because all of the users are on your Internal network and thus would not be effected by the firewall when connecting to you.

Let me know if I can help you any further on the matter above.