Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

OS Not Found

• Please log in to reply

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop running Windows Vista. One day it just.. stopped working.. I cut it off for a few hours and when I tried to start it up I recieved 3 messages..

Two of them were about Broadcom PXE, I can't remember what they said, but I think I resolved that issue and the third message said "Operating System Not Found." I'm almost 100% sure that there's nothing wrong with my hard drive..

I tried to boot up from the Operating System CD, but when I try to install.. I can't find the correct place to install it.. I don't know what to do or try..

All help is greatly appreciated.... Thanks!!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click HD diagnostic in my signature below. Choose the manufacturer of your hd. Download the tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've been trying and trying and it won't let me start up the DFT test.. It just keeps going to the OS Not Found message...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The HD Diagnostic will have nothing to do with the OS system as it runs in Memory before even getting to the OS System.
Did you burn it to a cd or a floppy drive?
You will need to change the boot sequence in BIOS to all it to boot to the cdrom or the floppy first.
Here are the instructions on how to do that.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 May 2009 - 12:56 PM.

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well, I don't have a CD or a Floppy.. So I just saved it to a flashdrive..>.<... So I'm guessing that doesn't work, then..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not unless your BIOS will support booting from the Flash Drive

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 May 2009 - 01:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found the specs on your system:

The Inspiron 1501 reviewed here is configured as follows:

* AMD Sempron 3500+ (1.8GHz/512Kb)
* 15.4" Ultrasharp WXGA display
* 512GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (1 DIMM)
* ATI Xpress 1150 256MB HyperMemory (Integrated graphics)
* 60GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
* 24x CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
* 6-cell 53 WHr lithium-ion battery
* Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
* Dell 1390 802.11g Mini Wireless Card

Has the cdrom drive been taken out of the system?

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No.. I have the CD Rom.. I just don't have a blank disc to burn the file to.. It says it has a USB Storage but it won't open the file..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"I tried to boot up from the Operating System CD, but when I try to install.. I can't find the correct place to install it.. I don't know what to do or try.'

what do you mean by you don't know where to install it? The cd should be asking for what partition you want to install it to. That would be the main partition which would be the largest in size or the C drive.
Second if you do a regular install you will lose all data on the HD.
If there is Data you want to save then you will need some blank disks so we can get the programs you will need to backup your data before proceeding.

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It asks me what drivers I want to install it to.. But when there's nowhere for me to install it.. I do want to keep all the info on my computer.. I won't be able to get some disks until tomorrow.. Things are closed for the holiday and I'm w\o a car.. But I'll post a msg here as soon as I get a disk.. Unless there's some way for me to put all of it on my Flashdrive...

Edited by rubbermaid, 25 May 2009 - 02:43 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you using the OS Recovery Disk or the Drivers and Utilities disk to format and install?
There should be a Partition on the drive. If there is no main partition then there is a problem.

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried both but they ask the same kinda question.. What is a Partition?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A Partition is what the OS System will setup and then format so that the drive is usable.
It is needed to install anything on a drive. When you buy a new drive it is in what is called RAW form and then you would have to do the Partition and Format in order for the system to be able to install or put anything on the drive.
You can go Here to read a more detailed explanation of what a Partition is and why they are needed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In post #7 I gave you the specs on your laptop. The problem I have is that you say you have Vista on your laptop and the specs from the factory say there should be "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition"
Is this correct and did you buy a Vista upgrade for it?
There should be a recovery partition on the drive unless you have lost it due to the previous installation you attempted. try booting the system up and at the Dell splash screen tap F11 to see if you can get to the recovery partition.

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry.. No, when I bought the computer it came with Vista.. I tried to run the diagnostics thing that I got from the OS CD.. and it says there is no Hard Drive..
And, I don't know if this is important or not, it couldn't detect the mouse.. But the mouse works perfectly fine...