Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled XP window, now wont let me pass the window start up srceen

• Please log in to reply

sweetapple

sweetapple

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm getting really frustrated with my computer!! Yestreday I installed Rosetta Stone onto my computer,everything went great. However, today when I turned on the computer the blue screen came on saying I needed to uninstall a new program etcs.. However, I couldn't get pass the blue src even in safe mode. So I performed chkdsk /r...that got rid of my blue screen, but when I logged into my user account ( or even the other accounts) the green start/ task bar wouldn't show up....also if I clicked on one of the shortcut (internet explorar etc) a white src would flick and goes away,or it would say file corrupted. So I went on here and found that someone was experiencing the same thing as I am, the only resort for him was to reinstall window (since we couldn't create an new user account even in safe mode) So thats what I did....now after I reinstalled window...I can't get pass the window start up src (black src with the window logo) now its keeps restarting it self I hope I didn't damage my computer permamently?!! Can anyone help? appreciated!
PS: I'm using another computer to type this :) :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you reinstall it over the old installation or did you format and install it fresh?
What disk are you using to do this with?
You may have a corrupted install of OS

sweetapple

sweetapple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey rshaffer61, I think I probably restall it over the old installation... I'm sure I didnt format it and install it fresh (eek!) I used the pre installed CDs that came with my computer. I have Dells XP so I used the blue disk "Driver and Utlilites" and the red disk "Operating System" I remember during the time It was installing it said certain files were missing such as ISYS.exe? (forgot the correct spelling) Is there a way that I could fix the corruption I made? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is there any data that needs to be saved on the HD or is it clear to format and install fresh?

sweetapple

sweetapple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No, theres no data that needs to be saved on HD,I probably erased them anyway after I reintsalled window? but I'm not sure if my computer is clear to be format/install fresh? maybe it is?? Was there a certain way I was suppose to do before reinstalling window?

Edited by sweetapple, 25 May 2009 - 02:17 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since this is a Dell the first disk you need is the OS disk.
When you boot up with that disk in the cdrom drive it should give you the option of what partition you want to install to.
Pick the C partition or Main partition which should be the largest size.
It should tell you that all existing Data will be lost and do you want to format and install
Tell it yes and then it should wipe the drive clean. Then it will start to install the fresh OS system.
After that is done then you will need to load the Drivers and Utilities disk since that has all the needed drivers for your system.

You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS so that the cdrom is first to boot. If the cdrom drive boots already then no need to do this.
Here are the instructions just in case.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over.
Follow the prompts or if you need assistance I will help.

sweetapple

sweetapple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
rshaffer61 thank you so much for helping me out! I was able to correctly reinstall my computer looking good so far!!!

Edited by sweetapple, 26 May 2009 - 10:57 AM.