Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Keeps Shutting Down Help ! :)

• Please log in to reply

Melinda24

Melinda24

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a HP Pavilion a1630n computer , Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 . About 4 months ago the computer shut down and would not come back on . Took it to a computer repair shop and they said it was the power supply. Got a new one and it has been fine up till now. The last 2 weeks it cuts off on its own or wont come on at all . I have opened it up and made sure everything was tight and in its place and also cleaned the fans which had dust on them. It still would not come on then after 20mins it did . All fans were running when it came on but made no noise. I downloaded SpeedFan to see the temps but am very unsure on how to read it. I was wondering if anyone knew or maybe if anyone might have an idea of what the problem could be . Thank You so much!!!! By the way here is what speedfan says

CPU 30C
Ambient 33C
Remote 33C
HD0 33C
Temp1 40C
Core 35C

Fan 1 2542RPM
Fan 2 984RPM
Fan3 0
Fan 4 0

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The temps look right for the system.
Are you getting any error when shutdown occurs?
Was there any upgrades done prior to the issue happening like Software or Hardware?
What wattage is the new PSU?
Please open the side of the system up. You can do this by looking from the front of the system and opening the left side panel by unscrewing the back of the panel from the case.
Turn the system on and check the cpu fan. It will be on the MOBO and usually will sit close to the memory.
Is the fan turning when the system is turned on? If not you have a over heating issue and need to replace that fan ASAP.
Next check the fan in the PSU when you turn the system on. Is it turning when turned on? If not you may have a faulty PSU again. The other option is a faulty power switch or a faulty MOBO.

Melinda24

Melinda24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
All fans are turning I cleaned all the dust off also ... My comp makes no sound anymore it used to..... When I run speedfan temps stay the same as above BUT when I run my spyware or any other program it goes up high well the core and remote temp does to 49 50 and its red but the cpu stays at 30C ...
Also no error when shutdown
No upgrades have been done

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Temps are good with those readings. Lets dig alittle deeper then.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Not the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 May 2009 - 08:11 PM.