Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

FROZEN LAPTOP Blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I recently got a blue screen of death error on my laptop, i cannot for the life of me remember the exact code now. but it was to do with hardware update error and it began to dump cache memory at the bottom,

it took me to the windows error explanations --- and they didnt have one.

everytime i turned it on, the desktop dissapeared!?

I entered safe mode and check the device manager on both accounts we have set up. nothing appeared to be in an error state.

I made the decision to delete the account the error happened on with the theory(however dumb it may seem) that once i removed the account and its software etc it would remedy itself.

Now the other account loads up and freezes almost instantly... i just have a constant hour glass and no response.

can you pleeeeeease help me!

in safe mode it allows me to revert back to a previous date when the system worked fine.. but we recently had a baby and we'll loose so much stuff like photo's etc.

Edited by Brennan2009, 26 May 2009 - 06:31 AM.

• 34,114 posts
First lets see if we can get the BSOD error message by doing one of the following. Since you can get into Safe Mode then I would suggest the first method.

BSOD in safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER and then PROPERTIES
Click ADVANCED and then click the SETTINGS button In the Startup And RECOVERY section

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error being halted so you can now copy and reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

BSOD outside of Windows

Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 May 2009 - 08:38 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok no problem i will do it this evening and have the reply back to you by tomorrow morning. thanks very much for your time and help!