Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown File on Bluescreen

• Please log in to reply

NinjaRaccoon

NinjaRaccoon

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Has anyone ever heard of atapcsirj.sys?
Friend's laptop bluescreened yesterday and that was the file it displayed.

I've looked around but I can't find any reference to it online.

Just to note, hes currently running XP SP3.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
atapcsirj.sys is an error message that masks Atapi.sys. Although malware can do this, we will check for errors and do some solutions first.

Atapi.sys is labeled as IDE/ATAPI Port Driver.

This is directly relating to a hard disk error. Make sure your hard disk is properly connected and plugged in. If you do not know how to do this, then ask someone knowledgeable for help for working inside your computer.

Also, please tell me what error number this is. For example, 0x00000060

Do you have any more information about this error?

NinjaRaccoon

NinjaRaccoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Ok, I was thinking it had to be something to do with Atapi, but wasn't 100% sure.

Unfortunately I don't have the error number, he wasn't able to get it before the computer reset.

Hard drive is plugged in and the bios is recognizing it.
Unable to get into windows in normal mode, computer freezes once the desktop appears.
However I can get into it in safe mode with no problem.
He also has the recovery console installed which I used to run chkdsk, it found and corrected some errors, but still no go.

Looked in the event log, but the only errors are DCOM being unable to run in safe mode, and lack of a network connection being detected.

NinjaRaccoon

NinjaRaccoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I just tried to do an sfc scan, and I got the following error message.

Windows File Protection could not make the requested change.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.].

Same error with every sfc option.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Be sure to backup the data. < This is always crucial. Some of the tests done in the article given can corrupt, change, rearrange, shift, or hide the data stored on the computer. You can backup in safe mode, by moving the appropriate files to be backed up, such as documents - pictures - videos -- to a cd, dvd, or flash disk/external drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063 < Please navigate to here and scroll down the page until you find:

# Error occurs after Windows XP is already installed

Please follow all steps under that header. If these did not work, or you have trouble doing any of them, please report back here and we can troubleshoot some more.

Also, be sure to run chkdsk on the computer. If you cannot access normal mode, restart Windows, and at the first screen, tap F8 continually until the safe mode screen appears, then key down to Safe mode w/Command Prompt. In the command box, enter: chkdsk /f

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 26 May 2009 - 12:17 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would recommend sending it to Jotti first to see if its malware.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en

If so, refer to the Malware Removal forums for further assistance.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
If the findings above are positive, follow the process in this link and post in the Malware Removal forum.

NinjaRaccoon

NinjaRaccoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Well, the scan results showed the file was clean.
I also scanned giveio.sys, which seemed to cause a slight hang at boot as well.
It was clean too.

He hasn't added any hardware to the system, I did remove two registry optimizers he had installed.

Seems to have been solved though, did a repair install of windows with his cd, and it's loading fine now. He did a kaspersky online scan once it was back, and came out clean.

I'm still stumped on what caused it though, I was really expecting to find some type of infecton on there.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
It may have just been file corruption. File corruption is possible, especially if the computer was improperly shut down, ever.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I was going to suggest doing a repair install, but it seems you already had the same idea in mind :)

Based on what you said, I think it would be safe to say that one of those registry cleaners may have had something to do with it.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
It is typical. Registry cleaners to improper shutdowns.

I do not recommend a complete reinstall, but rather an in-place upgrade.

The Windows File Protection error has much to do with a corrupted file that Windows cannot fix itself (without an in-place upgrade).

I would recommend that you also list any files that you think are corrupted in your next reply, and please tell me if you did the in-place upgrade, yet.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 28 May 2009 - 02:45 PM.

NinjaRaccoon

NinjaRaccoon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yea, I think I'm going to blame the registry cleaners, and give him a good thump on the head tomorrow for installing those.

Thanks everyone for the help on this.