Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virtual COM port

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi,

I have an radio control simulator that will not work on XP.

According to the guys at the R/C club I need and I quote:

"You may need a COM port to make FMS work. Either use a USB to 9-pin serial connector, or a virtual COM port to make FMS work."

The USB to 9 Pin is out as I do not have a spare port on the back of my computer. The computer is a Compaq CQ2000AN using XP Home with SP3.

So can anyone walk me through the virtual Com port?

Regards

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Forgive me, but if the software does not work on XP, how do you propose a virtual COM port is going to alter the fact that the software, according to you, does not work under XP?

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi Neil Jones,

Apparently the radio control simulator will not work with its USB plugged straight into the computer.

But according to those that have one working a virtual COM port is the answer.

Regards

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you considered a USB hub?

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi Troy,
I have tried everything but a virtual com port. It seems that the program was made around a 9-pin serial connector but when they made the transmitter with a USB plug the problems started.
Regards

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have no experience whatsoever with a virtual COM port, so I'm going to put a call out in the Tech Staff section and see if anyone else has anything to say.

In the meantime, would it work to install an add-in card that physically gives you a proper COM port?

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi Troy,

It would be very very expensive as it would mean cutting a hole in the side of the computer as it is a Compaq and they are tiny. Good thought though.
Regards

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well, I have two thoughts. Last time I needed a com/serial port I went to belkin and got a usb to serial adapter. Complete with driver. I had to use a number of those back when palm pilots didn't have usb connectors. Worked well.

I've looked for virtual com ports. Man there are a lot of choices. I can't say if any of these are any good. After looking through several, I think this one may be worth a try: http://www.hw-group....p/index_en.html

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
Hi starjax,

Got it, success.

I went to http://www.hw-group....p/index_en.html
and downloaded hw-vsp3-single_3-0-37.
Installed the program and my FMS simulator ran as soon as I switched on the transmitter.
Well done and many thanks... :)

Regards

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Nice work starjax - and Rickles for making it happen. :)