Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Route tracing

• Please log in to reply

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Some websites are not running on my PC.. I heard from somewhere about the tracert utility to trace where the packets are being blocked.. I ran the command and got some results.. Now what? How do I interpret the results and how to solve the problem based on what the result is.. I mean how to instruct the router to take a different path or whatever the solution is..

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Issues such as these are usually ISP related and there's not really a lot you can do about it yourself.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Some websites are not running on my PC.. I heard from somewhere about the tracert utility to trace where the packets are being blocked.. I ran the command and got some results.. Now what? How do I interpret the results and how to solve the problem based on what the result is.. I mean how to instruct the router to take a different path or whatever the solution is..

Rather than fully explaining how to interpret the output, unless you want me to. The simple answer is you can't instruct the routers to take a different path. Once the packet leaves your network you are now at the mercy to your ISP's routers and then the major routers provided by large carriers such as level 3. When a packet reachers a router, that router determines the next hop. So no matter what you did to alter the packet a router along the way will route your packet wherever it deems necessary to reach its final destination.

Hope this explains things a bit for you.

Unt

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Thanks a lot guys.. So I think I'll have to write an email to the ISP if they can do something... But I don't think they will be very keen.. :) thanks a lot!! :)

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Sorry to disturb again.. But can you take a look at the route trace output just to make sure that the problem is not something else..

Tracing route to answerbag.com [69.64.153.55]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 35 ms 33 ms 34 ms triband-del-59.178.191.254.bol.net.in [59.178.191.254]
3 40 ms 34 ms 34 ms triband-del-59.179.0.61.bol.net.in [59.179.0.61]

4 35 ms 34 ms 34 ms 121.241.106.26.static-delhi.vsnl.net.in [121.241.106.26]
5 347 ms 344 ms 345 ms 59.163.16.138.static.vsnl.net.in [59.163.16.138]

6 336 ms 337 ms 373 ms if-11-0-7.mcore4.PDI-PaloAlto.as6453.net [207.45.213.153]
7 335 ms 335 ms 342 ms Vlan89.icore1.PDI-PaloAlto.as6453.net [216.6.86.
22]
8 317 ms 311 ms 319 ms Vlan1104.icore1.SQN-SanJose.as6453.net [209.58.116.9]
9 331 ms 330 ms 331 ms ix-2-0.icore1.SQN-SanJose.as6453.net [209.58.116.14]
10 335 ms 333 ms 334 ms ae-34-89.car4.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.68.18.134]

11 359 ms 332 ms 332 ms DEMAND-MEDI.car4.SanJose1.Level3.net [4.71.114.58]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Basically first hop is your router which is denying ICMP traffic (this is good) and shows a Request Timed Out. Then it's going through your ISP's routers. Later down the line you can see it's hitting some Level 3 core routers and still continuing. Once it gets to hop 12 it appears to be leaving level 3 and the other routers are denying the ICMP (ping) traffic.

Unfortunately, I can't get much from this as it all looks good. It's not your ISP causing any issues unless the domain you are attempting to access is blacklisting a range of your ISP's IP's. This is a possibility, but usually only happens with e-mail and not so much http traffic.

Unt

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Basically first hop is your router which is denying ICMP traffic (this is good) and shows a Request Timed Out. Then it's going through your ISP's routers. Later down the line you can see it's hitting some Level 3 core routers and still continuing. Once it gets to hop 12 it appears to be leaving level 3 and the other routers are denying the ICMP (ping) traffic.

Unfortunately, I can't get much from this as it all looks good. It's not your ISP causing any issues unless the domain you are attempting to access is blacklisting a range of your ISP's IP's. This is a possibility, but usually only happens with e-mail and not so much http traffic.

Unt

Does that mean that not even my ISP can do anything about it?? What do I do now.. ?? THis is happening for 2-3 websites I used to visit the most..

And thanks a lot for your help and such quick replies!!

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Well out of curiosity have you tried a different browser? Do yourself a favor and try Firefox. If it still doesn't work test it on a different machine in your home.

If none of the above work then I'd still call your ISP and let them know you can't get to quite a few sites you were able to before and that you feel you maybe being blacklisted.

I'd also recommened you verify you machine is healthy in terms of Malware. Refer to the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and run through the list.

Unt

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I already use Firefox and have tried on IE as well but no result.. I called my ISP before posting here they told me to send the tracert output but still no result :) !! I don't have a different machine at home so I can't check on that.. I'll try the malware cleanup suggested by you...

Thank you

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I noticed one thing.. If I go to the google cached homepage of the website and try to log in.. Sometimes it lets me in and then I am able to surf the updated version of the website without any problems..

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Yes this works for me as well when I can't get to a site. The cached version isn't the live version of their site though.

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
No what I mean is that when I log into the cached version.. After that the updated version also works

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
So when you go to the cached version. Close your browser and go to the site it works? Most likely it's pulling from your Temporary Internet Files. Do the following:

Clear Temporary Internet Files
  • Open Internet Explorer
  • Click Tools
  • Click Internet Options
  • Click Delete under Browsing history on the General tab
  • Click Delete Files next to Temporary Internet Files and Cookies
Close IE when this finishes and reopen it then try to go to the website. Let me know if it works.

Mohit Daksh

Mohit Daksh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

So when you go to the cached version. Close your browser and go to the site it works? Most likely it's pulling from your Temporary Internet Files. Do the following:

Clear Temporary Internet Files

• Open Internet Explorer
  • Click Tools
  • Click Internet Options
  • Click Delete under Browsing history on the General tab
  • Click Delete Files next to Temporary Internet Files and Cookies
Close IE when this finishes and reopen it then try to go to the website. Let me know if it works.

I doesn't happen always but I tried clearing all offline files and cache in my firefox and ran it again and it worked... And I am sure that its not the offline files because I even made posts to that website.. And also during the session I could even open the website directly without the google cache.. And all the pages worked fine so it was definitely not the offline internet files..

It seems very strange.. I don't know what is happening!! :)

Thanks again!!

Edited by Mohit Daksh, 28 May 2009 - 10:04 AM.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Perhaps it was a temporary issue with the route or your ISP and has resolved itself. I'd suggest still reviewing the Malware post I referred you to so you can be sure your machine is clean.