Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP trouble detecting HD

• Please log in to reply

jaybird242

jaybird242

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

I have a puzzling problem here. I'm working on a freinds computer and we are setting up a brand new system. It has XP installed with SP3. We moved the hard drive (IDE) from his old computer into the new computer as the slave drive to copy over his data. When I installed the old hard drive is was detected in the bois, but when windows started the drive was not listed. I went into computer management/disk management and the initiaze and convert wizard comes up for that drive. Not wanting to lose his information I cancelled the wizard and decided to put the old hard drive back into his old computer. Now when I boot the old computer up it tells me that the hard drive is not bootable? So now I can't seem to get at the data on the hard drive at all. I'm hoping it's still there and that maybe the boot record or something is missing somehow.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How is or was his hard drive formatted? What version of Windows was on the previous hard drive?

jaybird242

jaybird242

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The old hard drive was windows XP Sp2 anbd I beleive it was NTFS

jaybird242

jaybird242

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I got it to work after further investigation. It turns out that it was the partition table that was messed. I found another converstation that pointed me to a free tool called TestDisk which fixed the patrion tabel and I'm able to see the old hard drive in the new computer. I'm not sure about the old computer yet, as I'm just getting the data copied now. For anyone that is having the same type of problem the article that I got the solution from is:

http://www.techsuppo...3140-post1.html

Thanks..