Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank computer

• Please log in to reply

deimon

deimon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
every time i turn my computer on it will come up to right before my password and then go blank. i thought at first that it was my monitor but it works ok on my old computer. then i was told it could be my video card but when it first comes on it shows windows xp and that it is downloading. i let it go as far as the password then i type in it and the computer is still booting up but nothing on the monitor.
help please email me at [email protected]

Advertisements

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not one of the big Know-how's on this site or anything, but it sounds to me like you might have 2 video cards in your computer, one of them shows Dos and startup screens, and the other one shows windows and any windows-based games or programs you might have.

I say this because my older computer did the same thing, I had a Geforce 4 MX 420 installed in it when I got it, but it had a built-in card already. for some reason all of my startup screens only show on the built-in card (when the monitor is plugged into that hole) and everything else shows on the Geforce card.

Look for a plug in the back of your computer simalar to the one the monitor is already plugged into and put the plug there instead and see what happens. if there is no simalar plug anywhere on teh back of your machine I have no idea, someone else can help you.