Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have lost my XP Setup Disc

• Please log in to reply

Bekkid

Bekkid

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have just found your site and hope you can help.

I had trouble using my laptop slow and scroll pad not working properly. Last night I turned it off and today when I turned it on again it said

Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

you can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

.............Only trouble is I can't find the CD ROM !!!

Is there anyway I can do this without it or download it for free anywhere ??

Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First:
You can't download windows anywhere for free.
Second:
If you can borrow a Windows cd of the same type you have on your system...IE: Home or Pro then you can do the repair. The cd does not matter where it came from as long as it is a Genuine Microsoft Product.

Bekkid

Bekkid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you.

I didn't know that I could use anothe disc (same XP Home edition)

I thought that as I had the individual code number thingy (?)from the disc sleeve I could download it from somewhere. .... but looks like I won't have to now. Thanks

Bekki

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"I thought that as I had the individual code number thingy (?)"

What you are referring to is the Registration Number or the COA(Certificate Of authenticity) number.This is unique to the system

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If you can get a hold of someone else's disc, you can load up the recovery console and do a fixmbr to fix that error.

Let us know if you can get a disc. As stated before, Windows cannot simply be downloaded, legally that is.