Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"local area connection unplugged"

• Please log in to reply

arait

arait

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This issue is fustrating me to the max. I need assistance ASAP.
I radomly receive the "local area connection unplugged" message.
It could be when i'm playing my computer game or watching a video online.
This never use to happen, but it started happening out of nowhere. It would disconnect my internet and then reconnect in a second. Its annoying when i play Left 4 dead because it kicks me out when that happens.

Its a wired connection and my ISP is time warner.
I have a Asus P5Q-e motherboard and windows xp OS.
No router is used in this connection.
My cable modem is downstairs and my PC is upstairs. So when i get the message i run downstairs and check to see what the modem is doing. Sometimes it was too late because it would reconnect so fast. But I noticed that when the message pops up. The PC light stops blinking as if the modem doesn't see the PC.

Here is what i did so far and i still get the message:
Change ethernet cord
Change NIC
Update network driver
Power cycle my cable modem
Unchecked the power management option
Malware scan with Malwarebytes

I'm going to try and exchange my cable modem today.
But is there anything else I can try and find out what the main problem is?
Please Help!! I'm desperate at this point.

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hello arait and welcome to Geeks2Go. Since you've stated you changed your NIC and ethernet cord I'd goto the modem. While reading your post I was thinking a bad or faulty NIC, but as you said you replaced it. Sorry I could not be anymore help.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Actually a couple other things you could try:
  • Test with different computer plugged into modem
  • Is it a direct cable from the modem to your computer or do you plug your computer into the wall? If it's not a direct connect try connecting a machine directly to the modem to determine if the cat-5 socket in the wall is damaged.

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for your advice Untalented. Unfortunately i don't have another computer to test it on. But one time i thought i fixed it because i didn't get the unplugged message the whole morning, then at night time i got it. But it just seems like it does it whenever it wants to now.

The cable modem is connected directly to my computer, its a 50ft ethernet cord.
I'll try to replace my modem today. Hopefully that will fix it. I will check back if it works or not.

I tried changing the speed/duplex thing and i would still get it randomly.

Edited by arait, 26 May 2009 - 03:25 PM.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Alright. Again if you switched the NIC and cable and there is nothing between the computer and the modem then I can't see it being anything other than the modem. If you computer was severely infected with malware I wouldn't see it dropping and saying cable disconnected then reconnecting shortly after. Usually it'd just stop working totally or until you rebooted.

Anyways those are my 2 cents.

Unt

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Some times as devices age their ports begin to malfunction; one of the first signs is an auto-sense issue, which appears to be what you are experiencing. This issue could be caused by your NIC or your modem (in this instance, I'd say modem since you replaced your NIC).

Step 1 - Change your duplex setting:
  • Click Start, select Run, type ncpa.cpl and press OK.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Network Connection and select Properties.
  • In the new window, press the Configure.. button.
  • Select the Advanced tab.
  • In this new window, you should see a Property: list. Within this list, look for an item called something similar to Speed & duplex settings (the exact name will vary depending on your manufacturer).
  • Select this item (so that it is high-lighted) and then please note down its current Value -- post this value.
  • Change the value to one of the following, and then test if your connection improves or not. If it doesn't, try a different value and test -- repeat for each item.
  • 100 Mbps Full Duplex
  • 100 Mbps Half Duplex
  • 10 Mbps Full Duplex
  • 10 Mbps Half Duplex
If you do not notice an improvement with any of these settings, you may change it back to its original value (that you noted down).
- Dan

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just changed my modem, i still get the message.
I tried changing the speed/duplex thing before it still happens.

I ran spybot search and destroy and it found some malware like win32.tdss.rtk and it had some registry keys under it.
I removed it, could it be this causing my "local area connection unplugged"? then reconnecting.
I will not know until i do further testing.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
I'd say before we move along any farther you definitely need to make sure your machine is clear of all Malware. Please refer to the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. Fully review that topic and if you feel it's necessary follow the instructions to post your logs on the Malware Removal forum.

Unt

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I still have the issues happening, any other things i can try.
I tried contacting my ISP if its anything on there end, but they don't deal with this PC stuff and they just tell me to contact my Vendor.

Things i tried:
Updating NIC driver
Uninstalled/Reinstalled NIC driver
Change modem
Change ethernet cable
Change NIC
disabledhcpmediasense
Unchecked the power management options
Powercycled modem
Scan for virus/spyware
Changed duplex settings

I am in need of some help. Any network experts out there?
My last option right is to reset my network settings, which i don't think i changed anything in the first place.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Again I'd really consider following the information from my last post regarding verifying that your machine is clean (even if you think it is). The only other recommendations I can give you is to test another machine at your home or test your machine at another location to isolate if the problem is your machine or your home network.

Unt

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Just on a hunch, do you have an unshielded subwoofer sitting near your PC?

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
What is a unshielded subwoofer?

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh it's not near a unshielded subwoofer. I'll try changing the speed/duplex settings again. I haven't tried it all yet. It could take a week to test it out since sometimes I wouldn't get the message until probably 5 hours or less. To be a success it should last a couple days without the message. God help me.

I don't think my nic is that old though probably half a year old, but I do use the Internet a lot.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Just on a hunch, do you have an unshielded subwoofer sitting near your PC?

Interesting that Cilix mentioned this. Do you have a microwave or any appliances near the cable run since it's fairly far from the router?

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok speed/duplex settings is not it. I still get the local area connection unplugged, then it reconnects.
I bought a ethernet cable tester and all my cables are fine.

I tried putting a router between my modem and pc...i don't get the Local area network unplugged anymore because the ethernet cable is connected between my PC and router

BUT...when i'm playing i still get disconnected or i get the page cannot be displayed sometimes.
So i'm thinking there is something wrong with the communication between the modem and router or PC.
But i already change the modem 2 times.

Even though i unplug the coax cable, it won't say unplugged because the message is based on the connection of the ethernet cable between the pc and modem. I'm beginning to hate road runner now, but its my only choice for internet at the moment. I rather get DSL in the future.

Any thoughts?

Edited by arait, 08 June 2009 - 05:16 AM.