Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"local area connection unplugged"

• Please log in to reply

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
The "unplugged" message has no relation to your Internet being up/down unless the modem is literally disabling the port when your cable is going off. With what you did above I'd say you can confidently say the modem is the issue here. However, it wouldn't seem to be a hardware issue as you've replaced the hardware now twice. Perhaps there is a configuration problem on the modem or a bug with the current firmware? Is there anyways to have them replace it with a completely different model?

Advertisements

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'll ask my ISP if they have updated firmware or a different model. Thanks for your help untalented, i will post back with the results.

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, i have called road runner and they have no updated firmware and I can't try a different model, only the one they give me. Level 2 support from road runner was no help, they keep on insisting the ethernet cable or my NIC is bad and they tell me to powercycle everytime. They are getting me angry cause it seems like they only know the basic knowledge of computers.

But since my cable modem was downstairs and away from me, i decided to put it on the table next to me so i can see what its doing when i get the message. When i get the "Local area connection unplugged" message the Cable modem PC light stops blinking as if my computer is not connected and the cable and power light is just left on. Send and receive lights are not blinking either.

As soon as the "Local area connection unplugged" message pops up i check 192.168.100.1 to see the status of my modem. At first is says "Ranging complete", then i can't refresh cause it doesn't see my computer. Another time i thought i saw "Registering complete".

I have been troubleshooting for weeks now. I am fustrated and tired of this message. Hopefully i can fix it this month.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
I'd insist on getting a higher level technician or for someone to come out to your home. You're paying for a service and they need to deliver. Also tell them you get this same problem with multiple NIC's and with a router directly connected to the device.

Just to rehash:
  • It's not the NIC because you swapped it
  • It's not the network card because you switched this as well
  • It's probably not a physical problem with the modem since you swapped this
  • It's not your computer because it disconnects even when a router is connected to it

The only thing we can point fingers at right now is their modem. When you type the IP of the modem into your browser when it's connected are there any options in there which says to allow the port to sleep or turn off when idle? I'd be surprised to see something like this with a Cable modem, but I guess anything is possible.

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay road runner scheduled for a technician to come over my house on the 27th to check out my modem. There gonna check out the signal levels and something about bandwidth.

Please do not close this thread
, i will keep you updated if i fixed it before the 27th or if the technician found the problem or not. Thanks for the help Unwanted.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Sounds good

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright i got a tech to come in earlier Friday the 19th.
I finally found out how to reach the log in my modem. For some reason i have to unplug the coax cable and i can access the modem log after. This is what i got. The date and time on the log is wrong, it has Jun 16, but it is Jun 15 right now.

Time Level Description
Tue Jun 16 08:22:33 2009 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
Tue Jun 16 08:19:33 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Tue Jun 16 08:19:26 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Tue Jun 16 07:57:27 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Tue Jun 16 07:57:14 2009 Critical (3) No UCD's Received - Timeout
Tue Jun 16 07:52:21 2009 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
Tue Jun 16 08:24:03 2009 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
Tue Jun 16 07:37:30 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Tue Jun 16 07:37:21 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Mon Jun 15 10:42:35 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Mon Jun 15 10:42:24 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Mon Jun 15 09:46:35 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Mon Jun 15 09:46:24 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Mon Jun 15 09:06:35 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Mon Jun 15 09:06:23 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Sun Jun 14 09:13:20 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Sat Jun 13 10:40:31 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Sat Jun 13 10:40:23 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Sat Jun 13 10:06:30 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Sat Jun 13 10:06:23 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Sat Jun 13 09:39:33 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Sat Jun 13 09:39:23 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Sat Jun 13 09:23:32 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Sat Jun 13 09:23:23 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Sat Jun 13 07:41:31 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Sat Jun 13 07:41:23 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Tue Jun 16 08:23:19 2009 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

But anyway, what should i tell the tech, so that i don't get the usual run around from him/her.
The usual tech just changes the splitter and modem, then they tell you its your computer. Then they leave.
I hope i get a good tech.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Those DHCP messages arent anything to really be worried about.

What are your signal levels?

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My signal is good.
My downstream goes between -1 to 0.8 depending on time of day.
My upstream stays around 45.8 - 46

Are those T3 timeouts something to worry about though?

Here is the power levels from the cable modem's ip adress. I copied and pasted it, I left out the MAC address part.

Receive Power Level
0.4 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
46.3 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
Operational

Edited by arait, 17 June 2009 - 04:16 AM.

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay the cable tech just came by today.

All he did was change the splitter and add something to do the splitter because he said the t.v. downstairs was giving feedback. Guess what, NO CHANGE!! i stil get kicked off the internet. I'm going to change my modem 1 more time, if that doesn't works I GIVE UP.

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Unfortunately I think that's all you can really do. I'm not all that sure about what normal dB levels are so maybe diabillic can give you some feedback regarding this. With everything else that you've done I can't see it being a problem with anything but the modem personally. I don't feel it's your Internet actually dropping as that wouldn't give you the network unplugged. This only happens when the port on the modem actually shuts down or the cable is unplugged.

Unt

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9634

Edited by diabillic, 22 June 2009 - 10:29 AM.

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
It would seem his signal levels are in the normal range then.

antone

antone

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had the same problem. I first had Adelphia and they burried a regular cable from their box to my house. When Time Warner took over I contacted them about the problem and they came and replaced the small cable with a larger cable and I haven't had a problem since. Trying to run 3 Tvs and a computer off of a small cable doesn't work. It kept loosing signal.

Edited by antone, 23 June 2009 - 05:33 AM.

arait

arait

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Im almost there to giving up. But they have scheduled an area foreman tomorrow to help me out.

I'm going to change my power supply, i noticed that its making a weird noise.
I had to take off the metal cage part because the fan was hitting it.
I don't know if the power supply has any affect on the cable modem, but i will change it anyway.