Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Previous owner used Cracked Windows Professional...UGH!

• Please log in to reply

Emerald_frog06

Emerald_frog06

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have an HP that origionally had Windows Home Edition on it. The tower was given to me, therefore I do not have the XP Disks, nor can I afford them..., but the previous owner placed Windows XP Professional on the tower and it's creating some major problems. I have placed Eset Antivirus on it and cleaned it out with the Ccleaner. Still, something is constantly knocking the winsock off. So, I installed the winsockfix program on it. I was wondering if it is at all possible to fix the tower without an XP disk? Or, can I find a free/cheap download??? I'm not computer savvy, so if you could please help in ANY way possible, I would REALLY appriciate it! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not without a disk, no.
You can borrow an XP Home CD from a friend and then wipe the machine and do a new copy of XP using the sticker that's already there. That will be the best solution.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please be aware that per our terms of use, we cannot help you fix the machine while there is an illegal version of Windows on it. We completely understand that it isn't your fault. However, all we can do is help you get your copy legal. As stated, you can borrow a copy of the Home disc and use the sticker/product key that is on your machine. Or you can also contact Microsoft by phone. They have programs in place to help people in your same position, who have been cheated by someone with an illegal copy of Windows. :)

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can get xp home here for $90.00...or if the computer will support it get WINDOWS 7 here...scroll down to where you select either the 32 bit or 64 bit version...it will work until JUNE 1 2010...its free until then at which point he/they would have to but it or it will stop working...
Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010.

Microsoft also detailed the minimum system requirements for Windows 7 are:

* 1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
* 1GB of main memory
* 16GB of available disk space
* Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
* A DVD-R/W drive

Edited by happyrock, 27 May 2009 - 07:20 AM.