Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot download from microsoft.com, update anti-virus definitions [Clo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Orbison

Orbison

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello everyone! This is my second thread about this problem. This problem is infuriating, in every sense of the word.

I have followed all of the prerequisites listed in the sticky.

The problem

I cannot download (although I can connect) from Microsoft.com (including windows updates), nor can I update virus definition databases (AVG, NOD32). Everything else seems to be ok - I can surf the internet, etc etc. Functionality is intact.

Reformating does not solve the issue

Please, someone help me!

Edited by RustedBass, 27 May 2009 - 09:44 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you are unable to download from these links let me know and I will provide others. Both of these programmes can be run in safe mode

Download Dr.Web CureIt to the desktop:
  • Doubleclick the drweb-cureit icon to start the program.
  • press start
  • Allow the program to run the initial express scan
  • This will scan the files currently running in memory. If something is found, click the YES button when it asks you if you want to cure it. This is only a short scan.
    Note: A pop up may appear during this phase suggesting you purchase their program - click the X at the top right corner of this pop-up to close it.
  • Once the short scan has finished, check the Complete scan box on the left side, even if nothing was found on the initial scan.
  • Then click the small green arrow button on the right under the Dr.Web Antivirus picture to start the complete scan. (This scan will take several hours)
  • During this complete scan - if Dr.Web finds an infection a window will pop up requesting your attention. Select the Cure button.
    • Note:(If the file cannot be cured, Dr.Web will automatically delete the file)
  • Once the scan is complete, on the menu bar, click file and choose report list.
  • Save the report to your desktop. The report will be called DrWeb.csv
  • Note:this report will need to be renamed to Dr.Web.txt in order to post it on the forum.
  • Close Dr.Web Cureit.
  • Please post the Dr.Web.txt report in your next reply

THEN

We will now do a deep search of your processes and files

Download avz4.zip from here
  • Unzip it to your desktop to a folder named avz4
  • Double click on AVZ.exe to run it.
  • Run an update by clicking the Auto Update button on the Right of the Log window: Posted Image
  • Click Start to begin the update
Note: If you recieve an error message, chose a different source, then click Start again

• Start AVZ.
  • Choose from the menu "File" => "Standard scripts " and mark the "Healing/Quarantine and Advanced System Investigation" check box.
  • Click on the “Execute selected scripts”.
  • Automatic scanning, healing and system check will be executed.
  • A logfile (avz_sysinfo.htm) will be created and saved in the LOG folder in the AVZ directory as virusinfo_syscure.zip.
  • It is necessary to reboot your machine, because AVZ might disturb some program operations (like antiviruses and firewall) during the system scan.
  • All applications will work properly after the system restart.

When restarted

• Start AVZ.
  • Choose from the menu "File" => "Standard scripts " and mark the “Advanced System Investigation" check box.
  • Click on the "Execute selected scripts".
  • A system check will be automatically performed, and the created logfile (avz_sysinfo.htm) will be saved in the LOG folder in the AVZ directory as virusinfo_syscheck.zip.

Attach both zip files to your next post

To attach a file, do the following:
  • Click Add Reply
  • Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
  • Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
  • Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
  • Click on Posted Image to insert the attachment into your post

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
NOTE TO ESSEXBOY: I was unable to update AV4, and so I did not run the scan. Attached is the Dr. Web log (and OTS log)

Essex,

I should add that reformting my hard disk (both quick and regular) does not solve the problem. Also, I connect to the internet through a router. Would you like a ip/config reading?
Better yet have you rebooted your router - or do other systems connect with no problem ? If you could then try to download and copy over to the bad system OTS it is a relatively small programme and will produce a small log

From Essex:

To ensure that I get all the information this log will need to be attached (instructions at the end) if it is to large to attach then upload to Mediafire and post the sharing link.

Download OTS to your Desktop

* Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
* Double-click on OTS.exe to start the program.
* Check the box that says Scan All Users
* Check the box that says 64 bit
* Under Additional Scans check the following:
o File - Lop Check
o File - Purity Scan
o Evnt - EvtViewer (last 10)
* Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
* Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
* When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
* Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.

Please attach the log in your next post.

To attach a file, do the following:

* Click Add Reply
* Under the reply panel is the Attachments Panel
* Browse for the attachment file you want to upload, then click the green Upload button
* Once it has uploaded, click the Manage Current Attachments drop down box
* Click on to insert the attachment into your post

Essex: Attached is the Dr. Web logfile and the OTS log file.

Edited by admin, 14 September 2011 - 11:45 PM.
attachments removed per request

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Intriguing I can see no sign of malware there. What is your firewall ? Can you disable it and see if that allows access.

Please run AVZ, there is not a problem if it does not update as it will still give usefull information

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.