Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Can I Clean The Ram Chips On My Video Card?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I purchased the following aluminum heatsinks for my video card:

Posted Image

& I wanted to attach them to all of the ram chips on the front and back of my video card. The problem is my video card is quite dusty, and well I've touched the card a lot recently when I was repairing the fan on it. So the ram chips on the card have small bits of smudged dust and possibly microscopic traces of hand residue such as natural skin oil. I don't want the aluminum heatsinks I bought to just fall off or have bad contact with the chips.

Posted Image

Is there a clean and safe way for me to clean these ram chips prior to sticking the new heatsinks on them?

Thanks

Edited by superstar, 27 May 2009 - 01:19 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Being lazy, please see my Thermal Interface Material sticky on WTT, G2G's sister site. It focuses on CPUs, but the same principles apply for all TIM applications.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you for your reply, and sticky link. I would like to clarify that I'd like to clean the actual ram chips on the video card. Not the aluminum heat sinks I purchased to be placed on top of them.

Your method using isopropyl alcohol still applies right?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I'd like to clean the actual ram chips
Your method using isopropyl alcohol still applies right?

Absolutely. You clean the mating surfaces using alcohol or acetone.