Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drive not working

• Please log in to reply

pteri

pteri

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I've just bought Adobe Web Premium CS4, and to my horror, my CD drive is not working. I put the CD in, then it seems to try and "start" then fizzle out, then start. I'm not getting that usual humming noise. And the CD does not show up in My Computer. Checked Device Manager, my disk driver is up to date.

My laptop seems to have a vengeance against CDs. The only other CD that I use is Age of Empires 3, and that sometimes gives me the problem above.

Very annoyed after waiting 2 weeks to buy it :)

And I've tried deleting the Lower and Upper thing values from my registry, but they are not there.

Thanks, Pteri

Edit: Got the wrong forum, after being so active in this one, and being a bit of an airhead :) Could someone please move it?

Edited by pteri, 27 May 2009 - 08:27 AM.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Does the CD drive open and close? If not, it's probably a faulty CD drive.

Have you tried 3 or 4 different CD's to see if any will read? If it will not read any CD, it's probably the CD drive.

Does the CD drive show up in Device Manager? If not, it's probably a faulty CD drive.

I would also check the cables inside to make sure nothing has come loose.

pteri

pteri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It's definitely the Drive, tried several CDs, and it shows up in Device Manager. For now I do not need a solution though, my friend showed my how to install it from my sister's laptop, and it all went well. Thank you anyway :)

Also I hardly ever use CDs, so its not too big a problem.