Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor goes blank for a second when office light switched on or off

• Please log in to reply

bluetec

bluetec

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Am using a Viewsonic 19 inch monitor.Whenever I switch on the office lights or off the monitor goes blank for a second but the blue light remains on.I tried connecting a different monitor, same problem haapens.If I connect something else to the same plug, it runs fine with no interruption when lights are switched on or off.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
It could be, you monitor is highly sensitive to voltage swings. I would put it on a line conditioner or a battery backup with AVR (also called, Line Conditioning, Autoomatic VOltage Regulation, Active Voltage Regulation etc. etc. etc.). THese serve to smooth out overvoltage and undervoltage.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I think before trying to fix the symptoms with conditioners you should find the cause of the problem. You have a wiring problem in your facility. Everyone should have access to an AC Outlet/Ground Fault Indicator Tester to ensure your wall outlets are properly wired and grounded. They are made for all facility voltages and type connections used around the world. If the outlet is properly wired, then you need an electrician to check the wiring for the lights, and perhaps add a circuit or split the computer outlets onto their own circuit. If bad, then the outlet or circuit needs repairing.

That said, I think that every computer should also be on an UPS with AVR, not to compensate for improper wiring, but to compensate for anomalies other devices and events send down through the circuits every time they cycle on and off. Surge and spike protectors are nothing more than expensive extension cords.

Get your house wiring checked and repaired if necessary, and get an UPS with AVR.