Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasing upload speed

• Please log in to reply

zoltain

zoltain

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello,
I have a slingbox solo at home and am trying to increase the streaming rate (thinking of getting a slingbox hd). Currently the MAX it with stream at is 1mb/s but that is rare. Most of the time it varies between 500-800 kbs. The minimum recommended streaming rate is 1.5mbs. This happends anywhere i go and from any computer so the problem definately lies at my home. (actually have two slingbox's at home and both have roughly the same speed.... But i am never connected to both at the same time).

At home I have a Scientific American dpc1200 cable modem which i have never to my knowledge updated the firmware (actually am very confused as to how to do this if i need to). Connected to that is an airport extream which broadcasts wirelessly to the rest of the house with multiple expresses boosting the signal throughout house. I have my slingbox connected to a airport express. All other software/firmware except for the modem are up to date.

The weird part is when I do an upload test i get at roughly 6mbs upload speed yet when i use slingbox i am only streaming around (as stated above) 650kbs.

Thank you for your help,
Zoltain

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hi zoltain,

I've setup a few Slingboxes for a couple friends, but I've never manually set the streaming rates. Normally I just leave it at Auto and it does this automatically when buffering. Now you have to keep in mind the streaming rate is going to depend on both your homes upload and the your locations download when viewing the stream.

Do a little test. Watch something from in your own home. Give it a few minutes to buffer and see what the streaming rate is at. Then do it from a few different locations. I'd also always recommened having these connected via CAT5 instead of wireless to get a guaranteed throughput.

Lastly even if you have 6mbps for example of upload. If the route from your home to the machine that's connecting to your home is long this is going to degrade quality as well. For example if you and your nextdoor neighbor have the same ISP then more than likely the hop count from his home to yours would be fairly short and quick. However, if one of you had Cable and one had DSL then more than likely the hop count would increase as the data would have to leave your ISP's network and get to his before reaching his house.

Anyways hope this helps a bit.

Unt

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I'll do the home test tomorrow. The 6mbs upload speed was from a server in the same city as me so location shouldn't be the problem. I am not sure about the ISP's however. Will updating the modem help at all. Also what settings on the airport extream/express and modem (if there are any settings) are important in streaming video? Theres a chance I am limiting my self with preference settings.

Thanks so much for the help,
Zoltain

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
It's been a while since configuring an Airport Extreme or Express. However, I don't recall anything in the configuration that would boost or hinder your performance. I'd just recommend not using the wireless at all for stuff like this.

Updating your modem may help. I'd look on the manufacturers website and view the firmware notes to see what changes the latest/greatest seem to add. Again even if it's in your same city doesn't mean it's close in terms of hops. For example when I connect to my office at home it takes about 13 hops. My boss is on a different provider and when he connects it takes over 15.

Unt

zoltain

zoltain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
How do i physically update my modem. Can i download the update on any computer on the network, open the file, and it will update my modem?

Thanks
Zoltain

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

How do i physically update my modem. Can i download the update on any computer on the network, open the file, and it will update my modem?

Thanks
Zoltain

You may need to contact your ISP regarding this. I don't think the firmware for this device is readily available and is probably customized from your cable provider.