Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

This actually happened to someone...

• Please log in to reply

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...a member of one of the antique radio forums I'm on started a thread asking if anyone else was having trouble using Firefox. The reason he asked was that any site he went to looked funny. This is an excerpt from his initial post, showing what was happening:

I hefe-a beee useeng Fureffux fur sume-a time-a. Tudey, hooefer, ell text is cumeeng up in a neerly incumprehenseeble-a fesheeun. Un ixemple-a, qoouted fur a prefeeuoos pusting here-a:

Now, I posted the previous line in Firefox. This line was posted in a new Safari window.

Every web site that I visit is marred by the gibberish that I post below (from the "eBay sold item" thread):

"I bey soold item

Bork
Bork
Pust noo tupeec
Bork
Reply tu tupeec Untiquue-a-a Redeeoo Fooruums Fooruum Index -> Redeeoo Cluubhoouuse-a-a
Feeuu preffeeoouus toopeec :: Feeuu next toopeec
Oouthoor Messege-a-a

...this was about a week ago. A couple days later he found his problem...

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
And the problem was......

I'm guessing that the person was using speech recognition software or was the user the Swedish Chef from the Muppets?

Or had this add-on enabled - https://addons.mozil...refox/addon/507

Edited by keithr128, 28 May 2009 - 08:50 AM.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
...yup, you guessed it...seems like this fellow had a house guest who knew a thing or three about computers and decided to play a practical joke on him; the guest sneaked this add-on onto his computer...drove him crazy for a few hours but eventually confessed...
...btw, the Swedish Chef was my favorite character on the old Muppet Show, which was on in the late 1970s; I'm sure that for a lot of the folks here, that was before your time...
...and my apologies go out to member 'heir', who is from Sweden and could conceivably be offended by the character...

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

...btw, the Swedish Chef was my favorite character on the old Muppet Show, which was on in the late 1970s; I'm sure that for a lot of the folks here, that was before your time...

The chef was my favorite muppet too. And from reading a lot of the posts here at G2G, I don't get the idea that the members are THAT young. Still, the muppets were great... whatever your age. :)

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Btw... I love this site! :)