Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about overheating.

• Please log in to reply

Mastatsan

Mastatsan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was just wondering if opening my computer tower and putting a fan near it really helps keep the inside parts from overheating, as long as I make sure to clean out the extra dust with a compressed air can now and then.

I've heard people talking about opening thier computer to cool it down, and i was just wondering if this is ever really effective, that is all.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yes, opening it up allows air flow, which is important to keeping things cool. does your case have any fans, either taking fresh air in or venting the hot air out? you may just need another PC fan or two.
alternatively, you can open the case, and use a smaller (6-8 inch) house fan or clip-type fan to blow fresh air in.
as long as you clean it once in while, it will be no problem.