Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgradable to windows xp?

• Please log in to reply

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
ok. after i make my bootdisk how do i do a clean install with windows xp upgrade?

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
well what your gonna need is the 98 or ME disk to put in to clean install with the upgrade <_< Clean Install

you put the upgrade disk in while you boot, and to verify that you qualify for the upgrade you have to put in another operating system disk...is there a friend who might be able to lone you one?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
See this very good guide: http://www.blackvipe...stallxppro1.htm

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i tried to upgrade to windows xp just to see what would happen. During the instillation it prepared my computer to restart and it restarted, then the screen was black and it said windows xp setup something loaded and the progress meter at the bottom filled then the screen just went black. so i hit restart on my case and went to cancel windows xp setup instead of continue. and now everything is back to normal...
after i get a windows disk from a friend i will do a clean install like u suggested. but i am leaving for soccer camp sunday so i wont be able to do anything till friday unless someone knows how to get past the black screen.

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hello,
does anyone know how to get past this black screen? In the middle of the xp upgrade with about 58min left the green bar that is filling up at the left turns red and says restarting computer. then after my computer restarts it comes up to an options page: continue xp setup or cancel xp setup. when i go to continue the page stays black and says starting windows setup then a bar at the bottom fills up and the page goes completely back. When i go to cancel my computer restarts in windows me... ne one know what is going on?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like it may be a memory error problem. Try downloading memtest86 here: http://www.memtest86.com

Installation
===============
Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i dont understand what to do i went to memtest86.com and saved this: Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.1a installable from Windows and DOS to a floppy disk then restarted and said non system disk... could u explain how to install it in lamins terms? thanks

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
i have the windows 98 disk now so i can do the clean install. can one of you tell me how to do a clean install and how to run the memtest. thanks

bluee

bluee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
hey, i dont mind having windows me but now everytime i reboot my computer it comes up with the choice continue xp setup or cancel xp setup. when i continue nothing happens just goes black, when i cancel it goes back to regular, but no matter what even without the windows xp disk in it always goes tothis screen... ne one know how to get rid of it? thnks