Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

major hardware prob

• Please log in to reply

artsss

artsss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, sorry if it's a little too long, I'm trying not to leave anything out.

I've recently upgraded my system with a few tigerdirect parts/bundle. I got an AMD dual core 6000+ processor, a GeForce 6100 mobo, 8500GT, and a 250gb sata harddrive. I also got a case for free, that was absolutely awful, but came with a 450W power supply.

This is how it all started. All of my files from my old PC were on my old HD, which had an IDE cable, and not a sata one. My motherboard only has one IDE controller, hence the only thing I figured out I can do is swap between my dvd drive, to my old HD and back.

I ended up doing this a few times to get all of my old data off the HD. Recently though, I remembered that I saved something very big on there, and was too lazy to just re-install it using dicks, so I've decided to do a one final swap.

As usual my power is off, unlock the case, switch cables, go for the data!

PC turned on just fine, everything copied, I turned off my computer & power. Replaced the cables, shut the case, and here is where I'm still stuck.

The PC turns on just fine, does not beep so there's really no indications that it might be the RAM. It lights on, fan's spinning just fine, but my 19" Samsung LCD monitor button just keeps blinking...

I thought that when I was swapping a little static could've been left in the mobo or something, or I did it very roughly and broke the board.

Today I replaced my mobo with something similar, just a newer northbridge and even bought a new case. Still, upon replacing the parts I found myself ballistic to the fact that there was absolutely no sign of improvement.

I've tested my hard drive by trying to use my old one, and it still wouldn't work. I don't believe it's the ram. I unplugged everything I could, but cannot see the dilemma. I tried using my old integrated gfx card, and another very old 9250 PCI graphics card, and still... Just a blinking light, that's it.

I tried connecting the blue monitor wire to the laptop and it worked. My monitor even shows "check signal" menu upon entirely detaching the blue wire from everything.

I am very lost, and angry right now. I can't seem to narrow it down, but to me it seems like it might be the power supply, but I don't understand how the PC seems to be perfectly turning on.

I even tested it with speakers and I can see that the computer itself does not turn on, just the lights and the fan... Could it somehow be my CPU? But I did not touch it at all when this problem first began...

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me fix this major issue....:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Turn off the system and reseat the cpu and then try the system. If that does not work then follow the next steps to test the MOBO inside and outside of the case.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 May 2009 - 07:36 AM.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
May I make a suggestion to get the video card tested for defects? It might be a good idea!

Also, a 450W power suppply is definitely NOT enough for a dual core processor, and a newer style hard drive. You want power around 650W or better!

edit: typo

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 28 May 2009 - 08:17 AM.