Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking App: Restore Desktop Locations

• Please log in to reply

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I have a small problem. When I run my computer screen to my television [via s-video, I know I need better technology :)], I need to change the desktop resolution in order for the screen to display properly. The problem with this is that when I bring my monitor back to its native resolution of 1920x1080, all of the desktop icons, once organized and pretty, have become cramped, misplaced, and far from pretty.

Anyone know of a small and simple Win32 [XP SP3] application (GNU/Open-Source asking too much? =P) that will save the desktop "state" [position of various icons], and allow you to restore this state later? I know that there are probably larger solutions that would come with a heavy install program that manipulates your desktop and allows further functionality and customization, but I just need to save icon locations and would prefer something more light-weight.

Anyone with similar problems, what was your solution?

Thanks for your time =)

Edit: If my post was not clear, please see my Pre-Owned Desktop and Post-Owned Desktop I use top-right for temp, to go onto MP3 player, to watch, etc. That seems to cause the most problems with the resolution shift.

Edited by wm_hunter, 27 May 2009 - 05:47 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/
Works in XP, and Vista.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I had an issue when I used the My Computer shortcut on the desktop to restore. Using the one from Start, I now have full functionallity. I bug-tested it, changing the desktop after saving the configuration by adding new icons to the desktop, removing one or two, and putting icons where other icons had been saved. The DLL hack worked beautifully, handling all of the situations with ease. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Edited by wm_hunter, 27 May 2009 - 09:59 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)