Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I've killed 2 computers in 2 months! What's going on?

• Please log in to reply

sweet-pea

sweet-pea

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!

In 2 months I have killed 2 desktop computers! I don’t know if I should repair and upgrade my Dell or just suck it up and buy a new computer, BUT before I do anything I need to know the possible cause of death so it doesn’t keep happening.

Background…The first to die was a Dell Dimension 4700 bought at the end of 2004. It has only 512MB of RAM. It won’t boot up not even in safe mode and gives the message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys. I used 2 different XP CDs, but neither would load and came back with errors. Then a friend gave me her old HP (256MB of RAM) that she got at Walmart to tie me over until I fixed or bought a new one. Since it’s been in my possession, it is showing signs of dying. I get a black screen with “disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.” After hitting enter several times, the computer boots up…for now. Both computers have McAfee Internet Security, as well as I run a weekly scan of Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware.

I only started having computer problems at home when I switched to AT&T’s Internet wireless service. Could this somehow be the cause? Could it be possible that since both computers have such a minimal amount of RAM that it was too much strain on the hard drive? It’s just very odd that since we switched from dial-up to wireless we have had serious computer issues. Also, the router is connected through the Ethernet port of the desktop along with a Dynex wireless USB adapter. I have a newer Dell laptop that hasn’t had any issues.

Is it just coincidence that both computers died about the same time because they are the same age? Any and all opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys does not necessarily mean the PC is dead. It just means your OS is corrupted or your hard drive is going bad.

I'd reboot the PC from the Windows installation disk and do a repair and see if that solves the issue as well as doing a hard drive diagnostic test to see if there are bad sectors or anything learning towards drive failure.

If the drive checks out and you still have issues I'd do a new install of the OS next.

A hard drive is in the $100 range (or less) as opposed to over $400 for a new PC. I'd go that route first.

Anad again, it might just be that the OS got corrupted and either needs to be repaired or re-installed.