Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Blank desktop after logon

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi ter,

I'm currently using Win2K, and i'm having this weird problem with my machine. I can log in to my machine but after i done that, there is not showing on my screen. Just a blank screen, no icon, no system tray, just blank. So I thought it's the explorer.exe, but when i check the task manager, the explorer.exe is loaded. I saw some solution that asked me to end the explorer.exe process and reload the process again using New Task (RUN). Unfortunately, it open a dialog box but then goes hang, I can't do anything. Hope someone can assist me.

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hey there asoka,
Try the following when your at the blank desktop:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
2. On the File menu, click New Task (Run).
3. Type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
4. If necessary, change to the %SystemRoot% folder.
5. Rename the Shdocvw.dll file by typing "ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw.old" without the quotes. Make sure to get the spaces.
6. Restart the computer.

Good luck!