Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

google update error messages

• Please log in to reply

jerome1

jerome1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I get half a dozen messages like this daily in my event viewer
Date: 28/05/2009
Time: 09:47:36
User: GIGABYTE\Admin
Computer: GIGABYTE
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 12 ) in Source ( Google Update ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
Application update.
ver=1.2.145.5, lang=en-GB, machine=0, extern=1
App={34B2805D-C72C-4F81-AED5-5A22D1E092F1}, Ver=0.0.0.1, PrevVer=0.0.0.1, Status=0x80040908.

I don't know how to use the "AUXSOURCE= flag".
I've tried uninstalling the google tool bar in ie7 - no difference,
I've installed google updater down loaded some updates and uninstalled it no difference.
Any idea of how to correct it, what is is that it can't find
Thanks

Jerome

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you having any specific problems with your system...if not ...don't waste your time looking for errors in the event viewer....

jerome1

jerome1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Was having various blue screen problems which seem to have been sorted out by updating a number of drivers - no crashes for a week after one every two or three days - but who knows how long it will last.
Also did have quite a serious virus infectation but got that cleared out.
So nothing at the moment but blue screens tend to come back so keen to do anthing that might avoid them.
It does look from the viewer as if google tries and fails to update four or five times a day.
Safe to just ignore it? Can't see where to turn off google updates on the browser (it is no longer installed on ie7, is on Firefox and I have google earth). I have disabled google updates via msconfig but it seems to get automatically re-enabled.
Regards

Jerome

Edited by jerome1, 06 June 2009 - 11:54 AM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
try this,

start > run

in the box that opens type - services.msc - press the enter key

in the window that opens scroll down and find googleupdate - set it to disabled

reboot your machine and see if your updater is active