Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to uncheck the write-protected/read-only box

• Please log in to reply

KeenLearner

KeenLearner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi all,

It seems that i cannot copy files over from my computer to the external drive, the read-only check box on the drive is unchecked.

My files however, no matter how many times i unchecked the write-protected box/ read-only box, it will remain as checked(Even after i clicked apply). What should i do, please help me thank you!!

Advertisements

KeenLearner

KeenLearner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Are you on an administrator account? Or are you trying to change the settings of another users files?

i think i am on an administrator account, sorry, how do i check if i am on administrator account?

But the file belongs to me, and i cannot change it.

KeenLearner

KeenLearner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry, and also, if i am not on the administrator account, how do i log in to that?

KeenLearner

KeenLearner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

If its Windows XP, Start -> Control Panel -> User accounts -> then itll show you all the accounts and their permission levels

i see thank you!! i will go and try it out now.

Sorry i did not reply you in the last few days as i was busy with my projects thank you!

KeenLearner

KeenLearner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,

i have enter to the user account and it seems that i am the administrator. However i try entering the properties of a folder to disable the read-only box, after applying and i went to the properties of the folder again, the read-only box was checked.

please tell me what to do next thank you.

KeenLearner

KeenLearner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

What type (format) of files are you trying to copy?

I was trying to copy microsoft powerpoint file and also VLC files