Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP - Blue Screen of Death?

• Please log in to reply

Tasty_Spoon

Tasty_Spoon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I'm new to this forum and admittedly don't know a very much about computers. So if this is in the wrong section or anything like that I apologise in advance!

A while ago I started to get a blue screen with a load of writing on it but my computer restarted before I could catch any of it. It kept doing this anytime I used my laptop so I done a full system restore on it and it was ok for about a week but it has come back again. I managed to get a photo of it though which is below. Can someone please help me? I have no idea what to do!

Posted Image

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you add any new hardware? If so, remove it, and try booting again.
When does this BSOD come up? Boot screen, logon screen?

You might want to check your RAM. Click on "Memtest Instructions" in my sig to find out how.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
*** Disable "Restart on error" feature...

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab (Vista: click Advanced system settings).
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

================================================================================

*** Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

Kenny Reigh

Kenny Reigh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here's How To Fix Blue Screen Errors Easily.
I was having the same problems, a lot of freezes and system crashes. I had recently installed a additional drive in my notebook SATA, and I thought that was the conflict so I removed it. I had also bought OEM software and thought that may be the problem so I got a Full Retail OS and still the same thing. I kept getting messages to check newly installed hardware etc., IRQL Not Equal and to run Scandisk..... I tried everything to no avail, and then it hit me.....BAM!
I upgraded my machine from 1024 memory to 2048
memory, but the upgrade was with -----> GENERIC MEMORY", so i removed it and replaced it with the original memory and VOILA! no more Blue Screen Errors', it is that simple. So those of you who are experiencing Blue Screen Errors I am hoping you kept the original memory sticks from the manufacturer. If i do a future upgrade of memory it must and will be with a purchase from the company that manufactures
the memory that came with my machine. My machine rebooted with no errors and works flawlessly even with the OEM version software, and I had to find out the solution when i spent 100.00 more on full retail.
Get that Generic Memory the [bleep] out of there. Not all Generic Memory causes this problem, but if you have Bluescreen errors, you have purchased the kind that does. I als did a wipedrive with WipeDrive software for a 100% clean install.
"For those who installed Generic Memory this is the fix.