Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Resolved]Computer Won't Attach files to email

• Please log in to reply

grass

grass

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I recently did a clean install of my computer, because I was getting tired of how slow it was, and also to get rid of a few viruses that I knew that were on the machine.

Well, I did the clean install, added all the original drivers and now my computers smoking fast :) . But, I've noticed however that when I try to attach files, or pictures to my email it won't let me. I'm using Yahoo mail. I'm not sure why since it lets me upload files that are less than 20kb, but if it is more than 20kb the attachment process goes on forever, and doesn't attach. The file is only 32kb, so I'm not going over the 10mb limit. What could be the problem?

My Specs:
RAM: 1GB
Pentium 4
3.06GHz

EDIT: I might have put this in the wrong place so if anyone could move it, that would be great.

Edited by grass, 31 May 2009 - 10:54 AM.

Advertisements

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey there grass,
What browser are you using? Try a different one, (example: if you're using firefox, try internet explorer, or vice versa). What kind of internet connection are you using? Take this speedtest and give me your results. http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Hope we get to the bottom of this :)
-Tony

grass

grass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey Irrevocable,
I'm using firefox and I also did try attaching in IE, but it still wouldn't work. My internet connection is Road Runner, and my download speed on the test was 3.0mbps, but when it went to the upload test it gave me an error. See there is something wrong with my upload!! Even the test didn't work when it was supposed to upload. Why is it doing this?!

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hey again grass,

That is a definite problem. What kind of software programs are installed on your computer? What do you use for antivirus software, and firewall?

Use the Disk Cleanup tool in system tools. Start>All programs>Accessories>System Tools> Disk Cleanup.

Open up command prompt - (Start>Run>CMD) and try typing in <ipconfig /flushdns>enter. Make sure you get that space between the "g" and the "/".

If those don't work, try this free Pc Scan on http://www.pcpitstop.com/ The annoying thing is you have to register, but like I said, it's free. When you get your results post the link so I can look at it. Make sure you choose the Full Test.

Hopefully we solve this problem soon! It's annoying not to be able to attach and send files.

Good luck,
-Tony

grass

grass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply Irrevocable, I did the disk clean up and the CMD thing, but it still hasn't fixed my problem. I also did the test, it was working fine until it got to the part where it was testing my bandwith, the download worked fine but when it went to the upload section it gave me a message saying "Fatal Error". For some reason nothing related to uploading will work. Including tests like these. It was working just fine, until it got to that part.

None of the above steps worked, not sure what to do now....

EDIT: I'm using bitdefender for my virus program, and I'm using windows firewall. I don't like AVG since it slows down my computer when it starts up.

Edited by grass, 29 May 2009 - 04:13 PM.

grass

grass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone have a solution to this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By Clean Install did you unpartition then resetup the partition
Then format using NTFS format
Or did you do a installation where you format and then install the OS?

grass

grass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ya I did unpartition and then set up a new partition using NTFS format.

I think I might have figured out why its not working. It might have to do with my router. For some reason it is not pingable, and I can't get to the default configuration screen. I got it about the same time I did the clean install. Before I had the router, everything worked fine.

grass

grass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I figured out what was causing the problem. It was the router. Moderator can close this topic.

Edited by grass, 31 May 2009 - 10:55 AM.

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Congratz on figuring out the problem. Thanks for letting us know, someone else with this problem could learn from your outcome.