Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my current set up compatible?

• Please log in to reply

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
so this is what I've been looking at so far for my desktop and I'm not sure if everything is compatible, especially since the graphics card is DDR3 and everything else seems to be DDR2? also what advice do you have for a power supply? I've heard I need at least 700W but I've also been told that only 500W is really necessary.

Processor
Video Card
Hard drive
Ram
Motherboard

All advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to G2G

I have been looking over your list...

The CPU you selected "the AMD 5000" is not compatible with the motherboard.

The other parts are all compatable...

But my thoughts are that you are building a system that is not very upgradeable and is obsolete already(not that its hard for that to happen)

What is your budget for the build...

Do you have a case to install this in?
if so what is it:
if not how big do you want your tower to be?

Do you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse?

What about optical drives?(DVD\Cd Burners)

There are many better choices out there for you(in my opinion)

You selected a hard drive (HDD) that is very small for another $30 you could have a 500-700gb HDD

Let me know how much you are looking to spend and I can help you find a good system...

Good luck

Cbarnard

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
uhhh wow...ha

I was trying to stay between $300 and $400 when it comes to a budget.

As far as a case goes, I haven't made a selection yet and don't have a preference, but I want everything to fit well, so I suppose micros are out of the question.

Im actually using a 36' Samsung 720p TV that has VGA as my monitor.

Your Harddrive comment surprised me because I've constantly heard that its size isn't

Basically Im building this computer to run StarCraft 2 and SWTOR when they come out. Possibly some other titles here and there, but nothing too big.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Ok due to the fact that you have a budget of 300-400

You should go with an AMD build

Here is the build:

Raidmax Smilodon case

This case is pretty nice, it is not light so if you want to move it all the time this may be a hassle... But I like this brand...

Asrock MOBO
I have this same MOBO it will work fine for you, and it has 1066mhz ram and room for 16gb if my memory serves me correctly... Also this board is compatible with the AM3 processors this helps it so you don't get passed by technology as fast...

Amd CPU

OCZ Ram

LG CD\DVD burner
I have had good luck with LG dvd burner products probably 10 purchased in the last 6 months and no problems...

Asus 9600 Video Card
This card is one step up from the card you linked to... and has the VGA output for your TV and I belive also an HDMI... The card you linked to will not work with your TV

Western Digital 640gb HDD
Brand name and alot of storage, 32mb cache

Corsair 450w PSU
This is important: its brand name from a reputable company, it is cheap and can handle this system well you will not have to worry.(but it is not set up for sli or crossfire if that is what you want to do in the future)if you cheap out here you could have a very unstable system...

Ok so right now if you added that to your cart as you went along you have $491.92

this will be a complete computer (but you need to find mouse and keyboard)and you will have $70 mail in rebates.

So it will cost you 421.92 for this build everything will be compatable and you can upgrade as needed down the road...

Good luck I hope this made sense.

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 28 May 2009 - 11:27 PM.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Wow thanks alot. Im seriously considering this set up with a few exceptions.

Not really a fan of the case. Looking for something a little cheaper and less flashy. Something really basic will do, as long as I can fit everything.

Also am I going to need any additional cooling fans?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Here are some other cases...

Rosewill case
I have never used or seen this case... it is basic I would purchase a second 120mm fan and install it on the front of the case... There is also room for a fan on the side panel... If you want to use this I would remove the duct and place an 80mm fan on the side panel.(it looks like an 80mm, not sure)

Coolermaster elite 330

I haven't used this case but it is made by a good company... I would also install a second 120mm fan in the front...

Good luck...

Cbarnard

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Awesome I think ill go with that first case. almost done. whew! thanks once again.

Yet another question.

What kind of cable should I get for my desktop to monitor connection?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
if you TV has an open HDMI input, the 9600 video card has an HDMI output... This would be the best connection you can make to your TV.

Purchase a hdmi cord like this one... here
I don't know if I would purchase this one I just wanted to give you a display of what you are looking for... You get what you pay for.

otherwise:

Purchase a VGA(d-sub)cord like this one Here
this cable should be fine if you were to purchase it...

Just take into consideration the length of the cable necessary which ever one you get...

Good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 29 May 2009 - 11:14 AM.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
awesome. Parts are ordered and shipping.

Will I need to buy something additional for it to have wifi?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Yes you will need to purchase a wifi device...

I use a linksys wrt54gs. You can purchase it from most electronic stores. It is a desktop PCI device, it costs about $40. Also keep in mind that you will need to have a wifi router...

Good luck, keep me posted about the build when you get the parts...

Cbarnard

Advertisements

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Parts received! im about to head up to bestbuy and pick up a VGA and wifi device. I'm very skeptical about putting it together myself. I have a friend who will be back in town in a few weeks, but if you think it isn't too challenging to do, ill give it a shot.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Congratulations:

The process of putting a computer together is not difficult.

It requires patience and common sense.

Here is a tutorial you can read to help you with this...

Probably the best place to assemble is your kitchen table (as long as you don't have a carpet(creates static electricity)

Always make skin contact with the case of the computer to ground your self during the install (you know that shock you get touching someone else once in a while? That is what we have to prevent from happening. Electro Static Discharge (ESD) can render computer components useless.)

I'm sure you will do fine with the build... If you have any questions ask me and I will be more than willing to assist you...

Good luck

Cbarnard

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ahh! just noticed I dont have an OS. is that going to effect the rest of the process? or can i just install a copy of xp when i get it?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
If you don't have an OS at all then Yes you can build the computer and install later...

I assumed(shouldn't have) That you would use your current OS on the New computer is it a retail version of XP?

You should be able to install it on the new computer(but it can only be installed on 1 computer)

To validate the install you may be prompted to call Microsoft, if that happens just call them and told them you had to build yourself another computer and the old computer is destroyed (which it should be) They will likely reissue you new COA if needed... But I have reinstalled my XP from my old one to my new one with out a problem...

If you are going to purchase a new OS I would go with a 64bit system... It will allow you to use more than 4gb of ram later on down the road. When you want to add more ram...

Good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 03 June 2009 - 09:24 PM.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Im actually considering changing my mind because i heard that i can get windows 7 for free (legitamently) and it runs pretty well, so i might do that instead.