Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new HP laptop cant connect to any wifi netwoks HELP!

• Please log in to reply

contact148

contact148

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I just got an hp pavillion dv9925nr

has windows vista home pro 64 bit

has Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n built in

My router is a lynksys wrtg54gs V.5 latest firware all my other computers and gameing systems work fine and have for 2 years (all xp pro systems and 1 mac)

3web DSL

internet works when connect with a lan cable

I had a friends acer laptop (with vista) here and it works fine

My new hp laptop sees the connections (including several neibours unsecured ones) but every time i try and connect I get some sort of error that says "windows did not recieve a response from the router" this is with any router i try to connect to BUT if i enter the wrong paswword into mine it tells me so. it must be talking to the router to get that....

this is VERY frustrating i spent 1.4 hours with lynksys techs and 2 hours with hp techs and still no go

this morning i did get it too connect sometimes (it still take many many tries and unplugging the router and modem to get connected everytime) BUT I now have limited or no connectivity (will no longer connect ive changed nothing the wifi switch IS on

so im guessing there is a setting or somthing not right can you guys help me? Im new to vista so i need to be led through the steps

Thanks

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hello contact, and welcome to Geeks To Go. As I understand it you're having problems connecting your laptop to a wireless connection. Please do the following:

Check Device Manager
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type devmgmt.msc and push Enter
  • Expand the Network Adapters group
Please answer the following:
  • Do you see the wireless adapter there?
  • Does it have a red X?
  • Do you receive the error when connecting to ALL connections or only this one? Can you test connecting to another known working network?

Unt

contact148

contact148

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well it turned out to be a bad card HP sent me a new card today i installed it and im on the net now!!

so if you recieve this message from every router.....

"windows did not recieve a response from the router"

it may be a bad wifi card

Thanks

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Okay glad it is working now.