Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having problems with OneNote & Outlook

• Please log in to reply

GeorgeS77

GeorgeS77

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi guys -

I was having endless problems with XP once it updated to SP3 and gave up by installing Vista with SP1. Everything seems solid, except that OneNote keeps shutting down and rebooting every 15 minutes and Outlook gives me this window: "Cannot expand the folder. There is not enough free memory to run this program. Quit one or more programs, and then try again" when I try to open a folder. It all seems fine otherwise.

I am running a 2 yr old Gateway GM5266E, Intel Core2 CPU (6400 @2.13 GHz) with 2 GB RAM and dual monitor set-up on a NVidia 7600 video card.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm not a geek, but reasonably experienced and am pretty good at following instructions to make changes.

Thanks, George

Advertisements

GeorgeS77

GeorgeS77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have figured out that Business Contact Manager is the major problem. When I don't have that Add-on running, Outlook is stable, but with BCM running I get the out of memory warning.

However, I still get OneNote closing and rebooting itself at least a couple of times an hour.

Any advice on setting up BCM so it doesn't cause such headaches and on why OneNote keeps rebooting itself?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Did you do an upgrade to Vista (rather than a clean install)?

I'd suggest trying to repair Office 2007 by using the Microsoft Office Diagnostics (in the Microsoft Office Tools folder on your Start menu).

GeorgeS77

GeorgeS77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Did you do an upgrade to Vista (rather than a clean install)?

I'd suggest trying to repair Office 2007 by using the Microsoft Office Diagnostics (in the Microsoft Office Tools folder on your Start menu).

It was an upgrade from XP as opposed to a clean install. I had to do it that way because the Version I bought was an upgrade version and it needed XP to be on the machine to complete the installation. (At least that is what I recall from the warnings!)

I have run Diagnostics and there were no problems found.

I get a window saying "Microsoft OneNote stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to this problem." Shortly followed by a window saying "Microsoft Office OneNote is restarting."

Thanks for your help here, George

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I don't recommend upgrade installations. There are ways to do clean installations with an upgrade DVD, but that would be another topic.

Try going to your Start Menu and expanding the Micrsoft Office folder
Beneath it you'll find the Microsoft Office Tools folder - expand that also.
Click on the Microsoft Office Diagnostics to start the wizard.

Alternatively, you can use this command to launch it (use the quotes when doing this):
32 bit OS: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\OFFDIAG.EXE"
64 bit OS: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\OFFDIAG.EXE"

Edited by usasma, 04 June 2009 - 04:17 PM.

GeorgeS77

GeorgeS77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I don't recommend upgrade installations. There are ways to do clean installations with an upgrade DVD, but that would be another topic.

Try going to your Start Menu and expanding the Micrsoft Office folder
Beneath it you'll find the Microsoft Office Tools folder - expand that also.
Click on the Microsoft Office Diagnostics to start the wizard.

Alternatively, you can use this command to launch it (use the quotes when doing this):
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE12\OFFDIAG.EXE"

That's what I had done previously to run diagnostics and it shows no problems found.

Not sure what to do next. I started an email support question with Microsoft to see what they can find. They want me to try it in safe mode first and see if the problem persists.
George

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The next step would be to uninstall Office and then reinstall it.

GeorgeS77

GeorgeS77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The next step would be to uninstall Office and then reinstall it.

That was a fear, but considering I haven't customized any of the apps yet on this install, that wouldn't be too hard!

Probably won't happen until next week, but when I do it, I will let you know the results.

Thanks,
George

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Just another thought (from my recent experiences).

Try installing it and running it for a while without importing anything.
If it works fine, then import your stuff and see if it still works fine.

I recently took a shortcut when I moved from the Win7 Beta to the RC - and used a backup tool to backup my emails and settings. Now I can't access three of my email accounts with my email client. Having learned my lesson (again), I'll do things the old-fashioned way when I move to the Win7 RTM

GeorgeS77

GeorgeS77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Just another thought (from my recent experiences).

Try installing it and running it for a while without importing anything.
If it works fine, then import your stuff and see if it still works fine.

I recently took a shortcut when I moved from the Win7 Beta to the RC - and used a backup tool to backup my emails and settings. Now I can't access three of my email accounts with my email client. Having learned my lesson (again), I'll do things the old-fashioned way when I move to the Win7 RTM

Thanks for the advice. I have modified toolbars for Word, Excel and PowerPoint I want to import but have been waiting.
George