Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open add/remove or device manager

• Please log in to reply

katbo

katbo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Cannot open add/remove or device manager

Edited: Attached the HJT log.[attachment=30570:Hijackthis.txt]

JSntgRvr

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hello katbo,

First off - If you believe you have a virus or malware, HijackThis logs go here. Please read this guide before posting there.

About your problem. What happens when you try to open them? Nothing at all or an error message? This is pretty common, and is mostly due to a corrupt appwiz.cpl file. This can be corrupted from malware, so do keep your log. But if it could be problems other than that, try these solutions first.

1. Open Start>Run>cmd
Copy this: %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\appwiz.cpl (or carefully type it) and paste it into the command prompt. (You'll have to right click the black window and select paste)

Does that open Add/Remove Programs?

2. Open Start>Run>cmd
Type in: Sfc /scannow (make sure you have the space in between "c" and "/")
Run the whole thing until it's complete.

If these two solutions don't work, we'll try something else. Good luck!

-Jason

katbo

katbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I should have been more specific, sry.
I click on the add/remove icon and NOTHING...no hour glass, no errors, like it doesn't exist. Same with device manager, I open system and choose device manager, click on it and nothing, same as add/remove, no errors or anything.
I did some searches and find that I could be missing some DLL files, but I'm not sure if that's correct.
I try to reinstall Windows, but I can't get my system to let me boot from the CD, and if it does, my keyboard won't work, it's USB, but not sure if that why either.

I tried your two tips, but that still didn't fix it.

What next?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

but I can't get my system to let me boot from the CD, and if it does, my keyboard won't work

are you saying you can boot from the xp..cd or not...
if you are actually booting from the cd what do you see...describe in detail whats happining....
do you have a PS/2 style keyboard you can borrow...
is the keyboard you have a wireless or just a standard usb ...windows should see the standard usb style ...just not the wireless kind...

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
BTW, there is no sign of any infection.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Until the login to accounts page, my wireless usb keyboard doesn't work yet either. If you have a wired keyboard (regular ps/2 style) that should work, as happyrock said. I did some research, and some said that the fixes I posted worked, and some said they were still stuck. I'll keep looking and keep you posted.

Some programs come with uninstallers, so you could maybe use those until we solve this. Luckily, it isn't too serious of a problem.

Also, check to see if the file is there. Manually navigate to: C:\Windows\System32 and look around for the appwiz.cpl file. If you find it, click it. But if the command prompt open command wouldn't open it, I doubt much will happen.

Edit: One last idea -

1. Open a CMD.EXE prompt.

2. Type regsvr32 mshtml.dll and press Enter and OK.

3. Type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i and press Enter and OK.

4. Type regsvr32 shell32.dll -i and press Enter and OK.

5. Close the CMD window.

Any luck?

Edited by OpenOutcome, 31 May 2009 - 03:32 PM.

katbo

katbo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did the following, but with errors

1. Open a CMD.EXE prompt.

2. Type regsvr32 mshtml.dll and press Enter and OK.
Error: mshtml was loaded, but th Dll register entry point was not found. this file canno be loaded.

3. Type regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i and press Enter and OK.
Error: Failed. Return code was:0x8002801c.

4. Type regsvr32 shell32.dll -i and press Enter and OK.
Sucessful.

5. Close the CMD window.

Any other suggestions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

The main reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

.........but I can't get my system to let me boot from the CD, and if it does, my keyboard won't work, it's USB, but not sure if that why either...........?

you can enable usb by switching on usb legacy support in your bios - as there are different setups then i can't advise on where this would be in your particular bios,