Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Auto Start Mobo

• Please log in to reply

TechSix

TechSix

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello all,
I'm just wondering before I try it, usually the power switch needs 2 wires to turn it on. I wanted to know if the motherboard would auto start with a jumper from a hard drive or would it just fry it? Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
A jumper from the hard drive? That does not make any sense. Please explain what you mean. And note it is best to just connect power the way it was designed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you are suggesting to do and Digerati please tell me if I'm wrong here. You most likely would cause the MOBO severe damage and render it useless. MOBO's are not designed to do what you are suggesting. If your issue is a switch then a trip to a electronics store or find a old system and take the switch out of it.
What you are asking is something I don't believe any tech would suggest under any circumstances as a fix even temporarily due to risk of destroying the MOBO.
Digerati I am really interested to know what you think about this .

Edited by rshaffer61, 29 May 2009 - 08:27 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Digerati I am really interested to know what you think about this.

Confusion. The two jumper pins the front panel power switch shorts applies +5VDC to the PSU signaling it to power on. Drives, on the other hand, use +12V for power. I see no reason to jumper anything from a drive to a motherboard, and rshaffer is right - serious damage to the motherboard, and perhaps other devices attached to it (RAM, CPU, cards) could occur. Use the proper cables, ensure they are connected properly.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A screwdriver will simulate the power button being pressed on the front panel connector, though this should only be a temporary measure, never a long term solution.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

A screwdriver will simulate the power button being pressed on the front panel connector, though this should only be a temporary measure, never a long term solution.

and always with extreme care to avoid shorting something out, scratching the motherboard, or destroying ESD sensitive devices.

TechSix

TechSix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the input guys. I just went ahead and ordered a case thanks for helping me not fry my mobo. :)