Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems reinstalling Windows XP on Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop...

• Please log in to reply

kmiyamoto

kmiyamoto

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey,

Here's my problem.

My parents bought a new PC and gave me their old 2002 Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. I have a good PC but hey, it was a free laptop. They had issues with it being very slow, probably due to viruses... so I decided to reinstall Windows XP to wipe out whatever was on there.

So I put the Windows XP disk in, and the first thing it said was that it wouldn't reinstall because the XP version on the disk was an earlier version compared to the OS on the laptop. Obviously they had someone install serivce pack 2 XP on it.

So I booted from the disk itself and reinstalled in the C drive partition... therefore going over the OS that was already on there.

Went through, started installing, got to the point where it asked me to name the computer and what not, and once I thought it was a success, boom, I was told that the Log On DLL msgina.dll was not installed. Told me to contact system admin or install it manually (no idea how to do either).

So I thought, okay, maybe if I use my service pack 3 XP that I have for my home PC, maybe I'll have better luck. Same thing happened. Couldn't get past that Log On DLL msgina.dll install warning which always forces me to restart. Happens over and over.

So how do I get past this point. I basically have no laptop now because there is no OS system. Sucks. Lastly, when I do do the install the screen is smaller in blue.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
That laptop should have recovery partition.
Press CTRL + F11 at Dell's logo.

kmiyamoto

kmiyamoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Will this work if I've already made attempts to reinstall over the C partition, thus erasing what OS I had on there? Thanks!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It should, because recovery partition is a separate part of your hard drive, usually D drive.

kmiyamoto

kmiyamoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I tired that and the following came up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt" Windows Root/system32/hal.dll

Please reinstall a copy of teh above file.

kmiyamoto

kmiyamoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, I tired that and the following came up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt" Windows Root/system32/hal.dll

Please reinstall a copy of teh above file.

Not sure if I should use fast reply or not so that's why I'm doing both. Let me know;) First time here. THANKS!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Either reply is fine, but not both :)
Now, I'm not sure what you did, and at what point the error popped up.

kmiyamoto

kmiyamoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. When the Dell logo popped up, I did the ctrl + F11... then that warning came up over a black screen and just stayed there.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In this case, you may have some hard drive issues.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, which is not listed, try using Hitachi tools.

kmiyamoto

kmiyamoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cool. I'm headed to bed and will try this weekend and get back to you. Thanks!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Not a problem :)
Good luck...

kmiyamoto

kmiyamoto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Figured it out. I tried what you suggested initially and for some odd reason it just wouldn't comply. I ended up trying one last thing by running the install as a quick NTS or NFTS or something like that and IT WORKED! I had to restart once because it locked during install, but when I rebooted it started up where it left off and worked. Now I just have to download the correct video driver, which I found.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice job :)