Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to make a visual basic browser with out needing any other browser.

• Please log in to reply

atlantica

atlantica

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I want to make a web browser just like IE and Safari. I want it to run without using any other browser or program other than what i make in vb. I have a browser made in vb, the code I used for the browser is:

WebBrowser1.Navigate("the website i want to see")

1ST QUESTION
If i put this exe file on a computer that has internet access, but no web browser is on it. Would this visual basic browser work? That's my fierst question.

2ND QUESTION:
secound question is if no to the first questuion, then how can i make one that will?

I would appreciate any adice, even if it doesn't solve the whole thing. Please help in any way you can. Thank you.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :angry: :wave: :yes: :) :) :) :) :) :) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) It's a visual basic program using the web browser control. All you're doing is using Internet Explorer so technically it's not a browser, it's a shell for Internet Explorer. All Windows computers as of Windows 95 OSR2 and later technically have a web browser on them which is all your control is doing - using the one Windows has.

2) If truth be told, a "proper" browser like Safari or Firefox isn't made in Visual Basic though it should be possible. C++ is where it's at now. A "proper" browser takes years to write and requires a very good knowledge of the Internet, internet protocols, security and operating systems. It is not something you do in five minutes during lunch break at work.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
is there a way i can some add a IE control in the exe file so that a computer could run it with out needing the whole IE browser? if so how?

Maybe using some of the files from IE and adding them to the exe using resources, maybe make an installer that will put the right IE files that i need some where on the users computer.

I may miss understood you. Did this browser come with every computer now? i meen, that would make sense, otherwise people are screwed on getting online. LOL
But if they do come with one, i'd still like some how to add some to the exe file, to be sure for the users sake. If this is not possible then this vb browser should work right?

i don't want to some one to use my browser and then uninstall any other browsers. because then they are screwed so that is why i want to add a control thingy.
sorry for the long reply.

Edited by atlantica, 30 May 2009 - 07:08 AM.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Anyone there??? Please help me.
:wave: :yes: :) :) :angry: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Might want to start with learning a programming language. Then, after you have mastered a language, like C++, you would want to help develop an open source browser, like Firefox.

You can start with any language you want, although BASIC is especially good for beginners. Scripting languages like Python are also good to start out with.
Visit your local bookstore or look online for tutorials on how to get started.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
can you explain what the difference is from c++ to visual basic is, please.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
There are many differences; most of them having to do with portability, speed, and the power of the language.

If you pick up a book like "Beginning Programming For Dummies" (which, btw, I recommend) it will explain these differences in detail.

You can start with learning C++, using this tutorial: http://www.learncpp.com/

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
OKay, i understand your point. Very true.
I watched this video and i am wondering if the program used in the video is what i can use to make my own web browser with out using another Control other than it's own and all that good jazz. Please take a look at the video and let me know if this program will do what i am wanting to do which is my two questions above.

:)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
1ST QUESTION
If i put this exe file on a computer that has internet access, but no web browser is on it. Would this visual basic browser work? That's my fierst question. It would work on a Windows computer only (not a Linux or Mac since Visual C++ can't compile to those OSs) This is not really a web browser; it is a IE window and some elements linked to it.

2ND QUESTION:
secound question is if no to the first questuion, then how can i make one that will?

Making a browser from scratch would mean creating your own rendering engine. This will take many years to do.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
so would that program used in the vid have it's on cotroler? it's "Visual c ++"

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The program in the video is using a web browser control. This is basically like using an IE window, but you are adding the buttons and writing code to link them with the browser control.

If you want to create programs, start by learning a programming language like C++, BASIC, Java, or Python.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Since i know visual Basic best than any other programing, which one would i do better with?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Start by getting a very good grasp of BASIC, and work on some open-source projects coded in BASIC. Once you feel good with one language, learning a more "heavy-duty" language like C++ is easier.